Author Topic: Brushes smear on corners - how to fix?  (Read 3649 times)

Mistakenly put this in the general forum, before I realized I should post it here.

I'm getting smearing of brushes when they overlap edges. Is there a way to keep this from happening? It makes is nearly impossible to paint on things that have 90 degree edges.

use a smaller brush and paint over the smears..

The smear is coming from the projection. As you paint, the project can smear as the brush reaches areas of the model that are at a more extreme incidence angle from your brush.

As was mentioned above, if you are experiencing this issue on your model, you should use a smaller brush to decrease the amount of cross over and rotate to realign the projection as you paint to fix smeared areas.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

As was mentioned above, if you are experiencing this issue on your model, you should use a smaller brush to decrease the amount of cross over and rotate to realign the projection as you paint to fix smeared areas.

Cheers,

Wes

Thanks for the reply Wes - Do you know if there are any plans to add brush falloff for faces that are not aligned with the brush projection? This is a really common feature in 3D painting applications, and would solve this issue handily.

Unfortunately using a smaller brush isn't a good solution because in many cases you've got a texture driven by the brush shape that you are trying to achieve and you want to keep it at a certain scale as you lay down the brush strokes. It's also pretty painstaking at the moment to try to paint all the way up to the edge but not overlap it, especially with brushes that fall off softly, or in a non-uniform manner. 

I attached a screenshot of the feature as implemented in Blender to help explain.

Hello,

Yes, this would be a great feature and I check to see if this is part of the roadmap.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Wes, you guys rock - SP is pretty stinking sweet!