Author Topic: Generators include Painted Layers in Calculation?  (Read 1683 times)

Hey Allegorithmic community!

I've been using Designer and Painter for quite some time and recently have been working on a project that will have me returning to Painter for a lot of detail work.

This is a hard surface sci-fi model, and like the last time I did a project like this, I decided to save most of my tedious detail work for Substance Painter. I have a large library of hard-surface sci-fi style alpha maps and this makes Painter a great place to quickly add detail to a game model.

HOWEVER!! I love Painter's generators. It's one of the reasons why I use the software. Though the last time I did this type of project, I had to re-export all my maps and re-import them - essentially collapsing all my layers down into the original plain baked texture maps. I did this so that the Generators would consider all the details that I painted in its process for doing things like paint scratches, dust, dirt, etc. etc.

This worked well; once I re-imported the textures, once I use the Generators, it even includes all the details I manually painted in with my Alpha maps are effecting the appearance of the generator masks.

But this is a very destructive way of working. After I do this, I'm essentially collapsing all my layers - just the same as you would do in Photoshop.

I don't know if there's another way to get Painter's Generators to also consider my manually painted layers as well as the original baked texture maps. Does anyone know if there is?

Thanks so much!
-Alex

Hey Allegorithmic community!

I've been using Designer and Painter for quite some time and recently have been working on a project that will have me returning to Painter for a lot of detail work.

This is a hard surface sci-fi model, and like the last time I did a project like this, I decided to save most of my tedious detail work for Substance Painter. I have a large library of hard-surface sci-fi style alpha maps and this makes Painter a great place to quickly add detail to a game model.

HOWEVER!! I love Painter's generators. It's one of the reasons why I use the software. Though the last time I did this type of project, I had to re-export all my maps and re-import them - essentially collapsing all my layers down into the original plain baked texture maps. I did this so that the Generators would consider all the details that I painted in its process for doing things like paint scratches, dust, dirt, etc. etc.

This worked well; once I re-imported the textures, once I use the Generators, it even includes all the details I manually painted in with my Alpha maps are effecting the appearance of the generator masks.

But this is a very destructive way of working. After I do this, I'm essentially collapsing all my layers - just the same as you would do in Photoshop.

I don't know if there's another way to get Painter's Generators to also consider my manually painted layers as well as the original baked texture maps. Does anyone know if there is?

Thanks so much!
-Alex

Hi Alex,

You can create a custom filter to handle this. Check out this video that shows the process.

Cheers,
Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja