Author Topic: Substance Painter strange colours in exported normal map  (Read 2826 times)

Hi,

I exported my textures from Substance Painter 2.3.1 (also previously tried with 2.1.0) and my normal map has all these strange colours. I have exported normal maps in the past just fine, this is the first time I'm encountering this issue. Can you please explain what is causing this?

Thanks,
David

Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Thanks Froyok but I don't think my issue has anything to do with padding?
Have a look at the same image with my UVs overlaid on top. I'm clearly getting strange orange colours inside my UV islands

Thanks,
David

Indeed, with the UVs on top it's a bit more clear.
Does your mesh appear fine in the viewport ? Even in the 2D view if you isolate to the channel "Normal + Height + Base normal" ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Hi Froyok,

thanks for your continued support.

Isolating the channels produces the same colours in the 2d view. Something I wanted to mention is that I baked the base normal map in Substance Designer 5 which looks fine (see attached). I would assume that the strange colours are added somewhere in the normal detailing process within Substance Painter. One thing I cannot remember unfortunately is if I originally started texturing this prop in SP1 or SP2

Thanks again,
David

Could you send me your files ?
(mesh + normal map)
-----------

Hi Froyok,

sorry for getting back to you so late, I had a few busy days. I just tried to see if I could send you the files directly via e-mail or private message but I found no attachment options. Anyway I started a new project, rebaked and retextured the asset and the normal map is exported fine now.

Cheers,
David