Author Topic: "Relocate" linked mesh doesn't seem to work ?  (Read 740 times)

Did a search for relocate, and didn't find a mention of this, but when I try to "relocate" an obj, or fbx with another one, it doesn't update. If I use the "show in folder" option it WILL point to the new file, but inside designer it's still the old file,

am I missing something here or is this a bug?

Much appreciated!
-j

Apologies on the topic in the wrong area, tried to move it over to product support but got an error!
Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:24:45 pm

Did a search for relocate, and didn't find a mention of this, but when I try to "relocate" an obj, or fbx with another one, it doesn't update. If I use the "show in folder" option it WILL point to the new file, but inside designer it's still the old file,

am I missing something here or is this a bug?

Much appreciated!
-j

Apologies on the topic in the wrong area, tried to move it over to product support but got an error!

Hi,

I did a test and the relocate seems to be working for me. I imported the mesh made changes in Maya and moved the location of the file. Designer then lost the connection so I right-click and choose relocate and browsed to the new file location. It then updated with changes. I also tried a different mesh with relocate and it updated as well.

Is this what you are trying to do but it's not working?

Cheers,
Wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Wes! What is up old buddy,

yes, thats what I'm trying to do over here, if the object name is X, and I try to relocate with a new object name Y, it keeps X name, and doesn't update, but if I show in explorer, it will show object Y.

Make sense?
-j

Wes! What is up old buddy,

yes, thats what I'm trying to do over here, if the object name is X, and I try to relocate with a new object name Y, it keeps X name, and doesn't update, but if I show in explorer, it will show object Y.

Make sense?
-j

Hey Jarred!

What's up man? I thought that might be you : )

I tried it again with different file names. So when I use relocate it does indeed keep the same name in Designer, however my changes did show up. I also tried changing the materials and it did show the different materials when updated.  After I use relocate I can then right click the mesh and choose rename to change the name.

I tested with SD version 5.5.1. What version of designer are you using?

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Wes,

I'm on a slightly older version over here, will look into updating, basically, what were trying to do is setup a dummy scene that holds all the baking perimeters, so another artist can load the default package, replace the dummy object (because that saves the bake settings) with their object, hit bake, and be done.

Right now it looks like "relocate" is expecting things to be similar, when I believe what I want is a "replace"

-j