Author Topic: FX Maps tutorials  (Read 3991 times)

Anyone know where I can find some good tutorials for creating some of the more complex FX Maps? Not just a basic noise but anistropic noises, grunge maps, etc. 

As I've been getting my hands dirty it occurs to me that I'll need help understanding the math and how to apply the math concepts.

Anyone know where I can find some good tutorials for creating some of the more complex FX Maps? Not just a basic noise but anistropic noises, grunge maps, etc. 

As I've been getting my hands dirty it occurs to me that I'll need help understanding the math and how to apply the math concepts.

Hi Dave,

We definitely need more tutorials on FX Maps. If you have any specific questions, please post them here. It's on my list to update the FX Maps tutorials.

Cheers,

Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Some of the noises in the library don't rely on fxmaps. You are mentioning anisotropic noise and grunge maps, both are very different and thought they rely on fxmaps node at some point, they are not entirely generated by an fxmap.

Fxmaps are just a tool to generate images.

You can take a look at how the content from the library is made by drag&dropping it into the explorer.

Nicolas
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into that!

Perhaps a tutorial in creating complex FX maps and how they relate to creating anisotropic and grunge maps or something similar.

I agree, any tutorials would be amazing! Been able to dig through stuff and start to understand how things work, but examples are always awesome.  :D

[rant]
I remember in the old MapZone software the procedural maps were nice and intuitive to create. In SD4 I can't figure out any of it, it's all too cryptic, and the default ones have no comments, or even variable and function names to help understand what's going on. I'd prefer to just write them in OSL or some such at this point. It's extremely frustrating.
[/rant]

Watch a few tutorials. Like most software these days, it takes a while to get the hang of it. SD4 is my favorite texturing tool out there! It's not perfect but I enjoy it far more than many of the alternatives.