Author Topic: Baking Failed - Vertex Color  (Read 20302 times)

All  of sudden getting this error after baking FBX.

[Baking] Baking failed (Color Map from Mesh)
Could not find vertex colors
[Baking] Baking failed

All of the other maps appear to bake fine. Not sure why I'm getting this vertex color error all of sudden. I've not changed any FBX settings from Max 2017

I'm attaching one of the meshes that is causing this error as well as the log file.

Thanks!
Daf

Thanks for the file.
What were your baking settings for the ID map baker ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Ah - it was on Vertex Color  :o ??? I changed it back to Material Color and it's all good again. That is very odd as I have never changed those settings.

Thanks!!

okay - follow up. Has it always defaulted to Vertex Color for the ID baking? It's doing so now and I've never run into that Vertex Color error before. Is there a way to set a new default as Material Color?

Thanks!!
Daf

Has it always defaulted to Vertex Color for the ID baking?
Vertex color as always been the default setting.
If you don't want this setting by default, I suggest making a template to use when you create your new projects.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

So if it is the default - I wonder why all of a sudden I'm getting that Vertex Color error? Did you check the mesh to see if you get it as well?

So if it is the default - I wonder why all of a sudden I'm getting that Vertex Color error? Did you check the mesh to see if you get it as well?
I don't think checking the mesh would change that, because that would mean creating a new project on my side which means using the default baking settings. However if you are able to reproduce this behavior by using one of your project, you can send it to me by PM.
-----------

I know the post is old, but as far as there is no resolution on this, I want to post where's the problem and how to fix it.

It's not a Substance Painter problem, the problem is in the high poly model.

I had the same problem, the thing is I was baking vertex colors from 4 different high poly objects, and one of them didn't have vertex colors.

Even if you want a full white color on something, you have to apply to the object vertex colors if you want to bake it. And don't know if its true, but following the same reasoning, maybe you can have the same baking problem if you have a high poly colored by vertex colors and 1 vertex without color applied, could give the same error. If you are using zBrush, ensure to fill whole object with any color before start painting to ensure all vertices has a color assigned.