Author Topic: Utilizing 'input' node in UE4 problem  (Read 7124 times)

Hi

I'd like to know if it's possible to utilize input node of SD in UE4.

The major purpose of using input node is for making atlas. I've saw the video tutorial(Creating a texture atlas series) and I wanted to use the atlas Substance with input node not with linked/imported bitmap so that I can handle it with various textures come from other Substances inside UE4 directly.

For quick test, I made very simple Substance that has input node in it and published.
But I couldn't put bitmap(generated from Substance in UE4) into input slot as the slot doesn't allow to have showing red square.

I really want to make it for better using of SD in UE4 so I definitely need your help:)

Thank you.
Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:32:08 am

Hi

I'd like to know if it's possible to utilize input node of SD in UE4.

The major purpose of using input node is for making atlas. I've saw the video tutorial(Creating a texture atlas series) and I wanted to use the atlas Substance with input node not with linked/imported bitmap so that I can handle it with various textures come from other Substances inside UE4 directly.

For quick test, I made very simple Substance that has input node in it and published.
But I couldn't put bitmap(generated from Substance in UE4) into input slot as the slot doesn't allow to have showing red square.

I really want to make it for better using of SD in UE4 so I definitely need your help:)

Thank you.

Hi,

It can be a bit confusing as you can't just use an image imported into your project in UE4 as the input to the substance. We are looking at fixing this as the process is more complicated than it needs to be at this time.

In order to use an image as an input to a substance imported into your UE4 project, you need to import the image as a Substance Input Texture. You will then be able to assign the texture to your substance input.

Cheers,
Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi, Mr. McDermott.

I've tested out as you taught and found that it worked very well.
What I want to do, however, is to assign textures generated from Substance in UE4, not manually imported one. So I hope I can use SD with the feature someday.

I think what you have taught is also helpful though because I face a lot of cases developing game graphic so I truly appreciate with your help:)

Hi, Mr. McDermott.

I've tested out as you taught and found that it worked very well.
What I want to do, however, is to assign textures generated from Substance in UE4, not manually imported one. So I hope I can use SD with the feature someday.

I think what you have taught is also helpful though because I face a lot of cases developing game graphic so I truly appreciate with your help:)

Hi,

I'm glad that was helpful. We are looking at adding the ability to use substance generated textures as input to other substances. I don't have an ETA on this, but it's something we will look to support in a future update.

Cheers,
wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi Wes,

I've seen references to the ability to convert standard images into Substance image inputs, although these references were always quite old, and I'm suspecting maybe it was something that only worked in UE3. In fact, it's mentioned HERE in the UDN:

"Dynamic image inputs are supported through a new type of object, Substance Image Inputs. They are created by importing jpeg or tga images or by converting standard existing textures."

I take it that ability has since been removed? If not, could you please explain how to convert existing textures to Substance image inputs?

Hi Wes,

I've seen references to the ability to convert standard images into Substance image inputs, although these references were always quite old, and I'm suspecting maybe it was something that only worked in UE3. In fact, it's mentioned HERE in the UDN:

"Dynamic image inputs are supported through a new type of object, Substance Image Inputs. They are created by importing jpeg or tga images or by converting standard existing textures."

I take it that ability has since been removed? If not, could you please explain how to convert existing textures to Substance image inputs?

Hi,

You just need to import the texture as a substance texture. It works like this...

You have the texture on your hardrive. You import the resource and for the type, choose Substance Input Texture and it will be added to your project as a substance input texture.

Cheers,
Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi Wes,

Yes, sorry, I should have specified that I'm trying to do the same thing as JZeppelin35, who started this thread. So:

What I want to do, however, is to assign textures generated from Substance in UE4, not manually imported one.

I can import them fine, but I would like to use an instance's output maps as a different instances' inputs, and that's why importing doesn't help me. (Unless I exported the images and re-imported them as substance inputs, which would be far from ideal)

I did read your previous post where you said you're looking at adding the ability to use generated images as inputs, but I was just wondering if somehow that conversion option I read about was still lurking somewhere. I'm guessing it's not the case?

Cheers,

Pablo

Hi Wes,

Yes, sorry, I should have specified that I'm trying to do the same thing as JZeppelin35, who started this thread. So:

What I want to do, however, is to assign textures generated from Substance in UE4, not manually imported one.

I can import them fine, but I would like to use an instance's output maps as a different instances' inputs, and that's why importing doesn't help me. (Unless I exported the images and re-imported them as substance inputs, which would be far from ideal)

I did read your previous post where you said you're looking at adding the ability to use generated images as inputs, but I was just wondering if somehow that conversion option I read about was still lurking somewhere. I'm guessing it's not the case?

Cheers,

Pablo

Hi Pablo,

Oh, I'm sorry : ) We can't do that at this time, but I spoke with the devs and we are looking to add this functionality in a future update. We are refactoring the plugin now and after that we will be able to start adding new and more consistent features.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

this made me so mad.  WHY can't this be done? when will it be adressed?

this made me so mad.  WHY can't this be done? when will it be adressed?

Hello @strangelet3345,
This feature was implemented in the latest release of the plugin 4.16.0.24. We are in the process of updating our documentation to cover this feature in detail.

Cheers!  :D
Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:31:08 pm
Software Engineer, Integrations
daniel.stover@allegorithmic.com

hmm.   ok, well i'm trying this with a fresh stock install of ue4 and a fresh install of the substance plugin as of yesterday.

ue Version: 4.16.0-3452394+++UE4+Release-4.16 ,  plugin version is 4.16.0.24 as you mention - and the behaviour seems unchanged. 

i'm using substance designer 5.4.0 tho, will this only work with 6+?
Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:56:06 am

hmm.   ok, well i'm trying this with a fresh stock install of ue4 and a fresh install of the substance plugin as of yesterday.

ue Version: 4.16.0-3452394+++UE4+Release-4.16 ,  plugin version is 4.16.0.24 as you mention - and the behaviour seems unchanged. 

i'm using substance designer 5.4.0 tho, will this only work with 6+?

Hi,

We may be confused on what you are wanting to do. In the latest plugin, we added a new node "CreateAggregateSubstanceFactory"

The new aggregate substance node allows you to take two substance instance factories and create a new instance factory at runtime, which can be used to create a new graph instance.
What makes this special is that you can connect output textures from one of the combined graph instances to input images of the other combined graph instance.

Basically a substance output can be fed into the input of another substance creating a chain of substances. This must be done in blueprints. https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/integrations/Blueprint%3A+Aggregate+Substance

Cheers,
Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

ah sorry, i wasn't clear.

i'm frustrated that substance graphs in UE4 won't accept regular uasset textures as inputs.

a project i'm working on would greatly benefit the use of a substance graph system to dynamically convert a particular legacy texture setup to a differently packed single texture, with the substance tech being used only in an offline capacity to generate new consolidated texture assets in-editor for future use as regular static uasset textures.

the fact that we can't use regular uasset textures unless theyre imported as a special substance format texture means i'd have to export out a HUGE texture asset library to .tgas , reimport them individually as substance texture assets to use them in this way.

and it seems odd that substance cannot accept them, it would seem logical that there would be no problem with that, so what gives? why must input textures be in a special format?

also, i hadn't even got as far as seeing if these output texture assets are in the same format - but i assume since people are having trouble using them as inputs for graphs, theyre regular "unusable" uasset textures.

it would be nice to see more flexible format interchangeability here.

Hello @strangelet3345,
I understand your frustration as this is a feature I have greatly wanted to see myself and we are working on it. It's currently on the roadmap but there is no ETA.

The reason this is currently not supported is compression and decompression of textures. Texture decompression needs to be done on the GPU whether you are using the CPU or GPU engines.
Software Engineer, Integrations
daniel.stover@allegorithmic.com

Sorry to revive an old topic but will this be implemented soon...it seems now the only solution is to export my images from ue4 and re import them as sub import textures (limited to 2k)...The reason I'm doing this is because my images are created through render targets in unreal...if this could work directly in unreal it would be a game changer for many people...its like using sub designer straight in unreal...any news appreciated...thanks