Author Topic: Question about local override and working with Merge node.  (Read 33957 times)

Hi guys,

Here are my questions:
1) The Local Overrides in the Material SOP, it didn't seem to be able to override the exposed parameters at the Substance node? am I correct? e.g. I would like to have just one Substance node in multiple assignments, then I could do different local override at each assignment at the Material SOP.

2) Substance didn't seems to produce correct result on multiple model inputs with Merge node.
For example, I had 3 separate imported models, and each one had it own Material SOP and Substance node for assignment, the Substance nodes were pointing to the same sbsar file. Then I run them through Merge node to render them together, at the viewport it was still showing the correct result, however when I rendered it, only the last model input at the Merge node had the correct result and it seem like the result of the last model applied onto the other two models input as a texture map?

Thanks
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Right now if you want a substance to appear differently in a scene you will need multiple substance nodes, one for each instance you want to have. I think this might be why the material sop isn't working as intended.

As for issue two, it sounds like this is just a mantra issue, correct? Viewport is fine?

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your reply!

Regarding to the issue one, Is it a feature that could be added into the Substance plugin in the future?

And for issue two, yes, the texture preview in viewport is fine. So is it a thing that Houdini need to look at instead of you guys?

Thanks
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I have added both of these items into our JIRA tracking so we can investigate adding them :) We might need to coordinate with SideFX but it's now on the roadmap.

On issue two specifically, it might be a houdini problem but it could also be how we handle mantra rendering, it's hard to say. If you create two substances but don't use the merge node, do you get unique results?

Hi Josh,

Sorry for the late reply.
Regarding to the issue two, I tried to make two digital assets and they had their own Substance nodes, they would still overriding each other at render even with 2 different sbsar files. Also I noticed one more thing, the sbsar file contain multiple graphs, in this test case the two different sbsar files both contained a graph called "combine", as soon as I switch the Graph slider to (combine) at one of the Substance node, the result was then applied onto the other digital asset. This also explain the case in my initial question that it may be due to the name clashing with the graph names?

Thanks
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

The name clashing could indeed be a problem. Do you have an issue if you use the same substance file, just renaming the graphs? It would probably require you to export it as another file.

Hello! Sorry for reviving an old thread but it seems like Substance material overrides still don't work in Houdini?
Has this issue been rectified yet? I'm unable to control Substance material's parameters procedurally when working with many copies & assigning 100 separate materials for 100 instances is not a practical solution!