Author Topic: Painter To Daz Studio 4.9 - Export Options- best way?  (Read 5819 times)

pws

Hi,

have just started to work with substance painter and I've seen several export options for VRAY, modo, etc.
To have an idea what to do I'll go the Iray manual at Daz to better understand their concept/approach to IRay shaders. Perhaps some of you have already custom settings for Daz and would post these here? Would be heavily  appreciated :) If not, I'll post these after a successful conversion...

Thanks and cheers,

Peter

Hi,

have just started to work with substance painter and I've seen several export options for VRAY, modo, etc.
To have an idea what to do I'll go the Iray manual at Daz to better understand their concept/approach to IRay shaders. Perhaps some of you have already custom settings for Daz and would post these here? Would be heavily  appreciated :) If not, I'll post these after a successful conversion...

Thanks and cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter,

We don't have a Daz preset, but the texture export configuration allows you to create your own. That is how we create all of the presets. The goal is to look at the final shader you are using in Daz and the type of inputs it will expect. The maps exported from Painter are designed to be used with a physically-based shader. In the conversion section of the configuration menu we have options for creating maps such as IOR, F0 and reflection. These maps where used by vray and Arnold, but I also used them for the MODO renderer. It really comes down to knowing the Daz material's shading model which will in turn tell you which types of maps to export from Painter.

Can you post some details about the Daz material?

Cheers,
Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

The main Iray defaulted Shader in DS 4.9 is the Metailicity/Roughness mode though it can be changed with a drop down box to the Spec/Glossy and Weighted. DAZ3D recommends the Metal/Rough and I must admit so do I. I find it the easiest to get my head around. Though MEC4D has some some great shaders using the Spec/Gloss mode in DS.

The Metailicity/Roughness mode compromises of a;
Top: Metalicity Channel slot with Strength value input and Map slot. Maps being Black - non metal and White - full metal. Just like Substance
Base Colour (Albedo)
Diffuse Roughness
Translucency 
Gloss Layered Weight
Gloss Roughness
and so on down through Refraction, Bump, Normal SSS and finally Top Coat and Displacement

nearly all the functions within the shader are map driven, most Linear grayscale.

Here is an example of what I have been doing in DS using the method below but instead using the Top Coat (for the Fresnel) and map driven values as SP makes but I did them manually in PS.

The Top Coat Roughness is weighted so two maps are needed, Top Coat Layer Weight map and a Top Coat Roughness map. For SP made maps I am 99% sure if the maps are  made right all strength values should be set to 1.00. So Metalicity 1.00, Glossy Layered Weight 1.00 and Glossy Roughness 1.00 etc etc with a map in each.

EDITED to add: I should add that I only use Top Coat for non metal surfaces.
Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:09:49 pm