Author Topic: Working with Roughness But Exporting Glossiness  (Read 2067 times)

My preferred workflow is to use Roughness/Metallic but our engine requires Glossiness/Metallic.  Initially I thought I could just paint using Roughness and choose to export Glossiness but I discovered that the two are not linked together.  What I mean is that a material layer can have a Roughness of 1.0, but the Glossiness is completely independent of it meaning that I have to manually set the value to be the inverse of the Roughness.  Is there a simpler way of exporting the Glossiness as merely an inverse of the existing Roughness values?

You can create a custom export preset and use the Glossiness available in the "Converted maps" section in the Export Configuration tab.

Here are my settings:

Under the TextureSet settings I do not have a Glossiness channel
In the Output maps I have Glossiness (converted maps) assigned to the R channel of a map

When I view the exported textured, the R channel is all black.

I have tried adding a glossiness channel under the TextureSet settings, which does result in information being baked into the R channel of my output map.  However, the data being baked is based off of the implicit Glossiness values on the materials and not an inverse of the Roughness (even though I have chosen converted Glossiness)

What does your roughness looks like ?
The glossiness will be black if the roughness is almost white (since it's just the invert).
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

The roughness output contains a wide range of values (more or less 60-180 I would guess)

The roughness output contains a wide range of values (more or less 60-180 I would guess)

Hi,

Can you post a screen shot of your roughness map?

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

The above is with a Glossiness channel enabled in the TextureSet and all the layers set to affect Glossiness.  If that channel isn't added, in the viewport the glossiness output is checkerboard and the texture output is 0

Bump. 

Do you think you could provide the project for helping us reproduce the issue ?
(You can send us a download link by PM)
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.