Author Topic: Hi I am learning SP, and I am suprised the texture set cant be combine manually.  (Read 2055 times)

Seriously, I can do such things in Blender quite simply, (obiviously its a slightly more tricky) but after googling this problem people have been complaining about it since 2014.

I have just made 4 objects sharing a single atlas map, I imported a mesh with 4 materials, with the intention of exporting everything on to a single uv diffuse, instead I have 4 maps which are going to be very hard to work with.

it has completely screwed up my workflow and makes me reconsider purchasing SP.

just my thoughts.

I was just looking for this issue as well. Separating parts of models before importing in substance makes it much easier to not paint over parts by accident and keep things separated by material.

My suggestion is that if using blender, 1) run the script in the UV window to save uvs to file. Then select the areas in gimp/photoshop to auto file a mask where UV triangles are/aren't for each model. This way you have a mask for that portion of the model to use when you finally export the images from substance.

2.) another option is to select those models one at a time in blender and instead of the uv script, run a bake script that bakes diffuse, and give it a white diffuse texture or something. It should clear the image to black, and paint all uvs white, giving you a mask for that sub-model.

Seriously, I can do such things in Blender quite simply, (obiviously its a slightly more tricky) but after googling this problem people have been complaining about it since 2014.

I have just made 4 objects sharing a single atlas map, I imported a mesh with 4 materials, with the intention of exporting everything on to a single uv diffuse, instead I have 4 maps which are going to be very hard to work with.

it has completely screwed up my workflow and makes me reconsider purchasing SP.

just my thoughts.

HI,

The workflow would be to just use a single material that will export a single set of channels. In Painter, you can break the mesh up into material sections by creating a layer group and masking it. You can use Painter's masking tool to mask by UV shell which is very quick. The layers you add into the group are isolated by the mask. You can even bake a very complex ID mask from multiple materials assigned to another mesh.

The way to look at is that Painter is very literal about the material IDs and texture sets. If you create a mesh with multiple materials then as far as painter is concerned you are working with multiple texture sets and it will be exporting multiple sets of texture channels. We are working on the ability to merge the texture sets. We know it's been requested a lot and it's coming : )

In the attached image, you can see how I use a single material and then break up the layer stack into multiple groups that represent multiple materials. On export, I get a single set of channels. The draw back is that you can't hide mesh parts. But the layer masks prevent you from painting outside of the mask so I find it not much of a compromise in my workflow.

Cheers,
Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja