Author Topic: Maps bake with wrong normal  (Read 1069 times)

Hello!

I have an issue with baking in SD which I can't seem to resolve myself. So basically I am trying to bake normal map etc. for a Lego shipping container. The container is pretty much just a flat shaded box. The high poly mesh also looks correct in the SD viewport.
Now when I try to render any map it looks as if the low poly version was smooth shaded, i.e. the baking is not orthogonal to the faces but at weird angles.

I didn't find any option to change this behavior nor a thread with a similar problem. Maybe I am just missing something very obvious here...

Nevermind I fixed it, had to uncheck the "Average normals" box in the bake settings.

Nevermind I fixed it, had to uncheck the "Average normals" box in the bake settings.

Hi,

You can also add some support edge loops to the mesh as well if that is something that will work for your project.

Cheers,
Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Please note that not using average normals may also have some adverse effects.
You may want to have a look at this thread to understand the causes and the tradeoff of using vs not using average normals : http://polycount.com/discussion/147227/skew-you-buddy-making-sense-of-skewed-normal-map-details