Author Topic: I am new to Substance Designer, I have a question regarding baking.  (Read 2545 times)

In Blender, texture baking is very easy.

you click the object, and click "bake", however in Substance Designer I can make my object look very interesting, by applying several materials I have made, yet all I can do is publish the material in Unity5, any attempt to bake the texture on to the UV goes wrong.

I can bake AO maps, but I want to bake a PBR uv spec/gloss of my mesh as well as the normal. this is possible?

I am not using a highpoly mesh just a standard mesh with materials attached.

In Blender, texture baking is very easy.

you click the object, and click "bake", however in Substance Designer I can make my object look very interesting, by applying several materials I have made, yet all I can do is publish the material in Unity5, any attempt to bake the texture on to the UV goes wrong.

I can bake AO maps, but I want to bake a PBR uv spec/gloss of my mesh as well as the normal. this is possible?

I am not using a highpoly mesh just a standard mesh with materials attached.

Hi,

You can't bake the reflectivity of the materials to texture. The integrated bakers in Designer are for baking mesh data such as normal, curvature, ambient occlusion. For the normal map, you will need a high poly mesh for the baker.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Not to hijack this thread but it hits on a question I had in the past and another I was just about to ask.

1. So with designer, after creating a substance, I cannot bake out the texture maps... is that what you're saying?  In order to make use of what I've created in SD, I have to be using another application that can read the substance package?  And, if so, if I brought in a 3d model to texture I'm assuming that that means the substance I create would only look right on that particular model in the 3rd party application since it's using the maps baked from that model, right?

2. I was going through this tutorial you did Wes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz08al0-xkM and it started out with the maps already baked.  There's only a single fbx file for the stairs, so when you go to back the normal map and have to provide a high def mesh, what do you use?  If I have a low poly mesh, do I have to simply subdivide it first and export that as a high res mesh resulting in the same mesh but with one that just has a lot more polys?

Thanks.

Hey geoff_1,

1. No and Yes.
Substance Designer can output standard texture files, which can be used everywhere, you don't need to rely on a 'Substance friendly' software. When you bake a texture from a model, it will only work with this particular model, of course.

2. Maybe the High and lowpoly are both in the same fbx file? I don't know the package right now, sorry.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Ok, then please forgive my ignorance but after poking around I wasn't able to figure out how to bake out the final textures.  How do you do this?

Wes, can you shed any light on #2?

Hey geoff_1,

the small gear-icon in the Graph-Toolbar has all the options you need to export texture files.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Thank you!  I'll check it out when I have a chance.