Author Topic: MDL explanations, for a noob [update 29.09]  (Read 2555 times)

OK, it seems that MDL has a different philosophy than actual material that are used in many software, like renderers or games engine.

So here my dumb question: will it become a standard understood by "everyone" and will be integrated widely in others software like UE4? If it's for creating materials that can be used by a specific renderer, aside the intellectual completion, it's useless if you want to use them in a game engine and you can't. In short, MDL will be use in UE4 soon? Someone in the Allegorithmic's staff (or someone who knows the subject) can answer about the future of this technology (that is terrific, for sure)?
Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 11:03:01 pm

This thread is a success, obviously !  8)

Seeing as how the technology belongs to Nvidia, I don't know how anyone from Allegorithmic could really make an honest reply.

I think you'd have to ask Nvidia what the future holds for Iray and MDL.

Ah, I see... Thanks.

So I hope that Alle. won't spend too much time in a closed technology.

I wouldn't call it closed.

It's been integrated into a lot of rendering platforms. I don't know if its made its way into any game engines yet, but 3D artists are rendering with it on a variety of platforms.

I'm pretty sure Iray Real Time is a new development and its probably aimed at the gaming space. So you can probably expect to see it showing up there in the not too distant future.

I wouldn't call it closed.
I hope so, remember PhysX...
'cause you know, for the moment, the technology is free, but soon enough it could be usable only with nVidia CG...

But OK and thanks for your explanations. I don't know many renderers, I hope ti'll be available for game engines soon. I must admit that the technology is fantastic.

OK, it seems that MDL has a different philosophy than actual material that are used in many software, like renderers or games engine.

So here my dumb question: will it become a standard understood by "everyone" and will be integrated widely in others software like UE4? If it's for creating materials that can be used by a specific renderer, aside the intellectual completion, it's useless if you want to use them in a game engine and you can't. In short, MDL will be use in UE4 soon? Someone in the Allegorithmic's staff (or someone who knows the subject) can answer about the future of this technology (that is terrific, for sure)?

Hi,

MDL is Nvidia's Material Definition Language. The sole purpose is to share physically-based materials between supporting applications. MDL is primarily used through Iray such as with Iray for Maya, 3ds Max, C4D and Rhino. It's more widely used in design markets at this time. However, other renders are going to be adopting MDL such as Vray.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks for your answer.  ;D

By the way, just a thought: In Designer, library shares node for "normal" substances and MDL substances, it's starting to be a mess. 2 separated libraries, with a tab each would be appreciated.  :D

Oh another one, more tricky this time, if someone can answer:

I know that nodes use mass parallel processing, as pixel processor. But imagine that I plug the same image twice to a pixel processor: both are clones, that means that if I change things in the first, second remains unchanged ?

In other words: when I plug from 1 output (of a node) many inputs (of other nodes), the images from the output are clones ? Also in one node with many inputs, if I plug the same image to the inputs, all images are clones inside the node, so they are independent ?

Very noob for these questions, but I want to be sure that images between nodes are always clones, that there are no exceptions.  :D