Author Topic: Lucas Annunziata's Substance Sketchbook  (Read 4449 times)

Heyo everyone! I've been messing around with substance a bit recently and am starting to try and tackle new challenges with it. I'll be dumping both "finished" materials here, along with WIPs. I'm very much open to any criticism or questions.

Subway platform Material WIP

Stylized stones variants WIP

Lucas Annunziata
Senior Environment Artist I - Blizzard - Overwatch 2
Artstation - Gumroad

Lucas Annunziata
Artstation - Gumroad

It's looking very VERY good.

For it to look more medieval though:
- I would make them less coplanar;
- The joint depths could also be more diverse;
- Edges could also be less uniformly beveled.

Otherwise it looks more like a modern stone pavement - irregular but well built and almost new.

Let me tell you that I'd really use that modern stone pavement in one of my contemporary projects, so do not throw it away and maybe add only a few nodes with exposed values so you can make them both...

Thanks for the feedback JQL, I didnt see it until just now but I'll take it into account as I'm polishing this up. Here is where its at currently:
Lucas Annunziata
Artstation - Gumroad

Wow, that's great.  :)
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

Thanks for the feedback JQL, I didnt see it until just now but I'll take it into account as I'm polishing this up. Here is where its at currently:

Looks great!

The added detail is very good. I liked it cleaner too, in that modern spirit...

Started in on some castle bricks for my diorama. Not too happy with these, but I learned a bit.

Lucas Annunziata
Artstation - Gumroad

Lucas Annunziata
Artstation - Gumroad

Sculpted Edges

This is a node that helps to recreate a stylized sculpted edge look similar to that of Trim Dynamic or Trim Smooth Border in Zbrush. It takes a very angular and planar approach to the edges, with controls for height variance, angle variance, Primary Forms, and Secondary Forms.

This node combines really well with my Random Bevel and Stylized Edge Highlight Substance nodes.
Includes the .SBS so you can learn from or extend the graph in Substance Designer

Created in Substance Designer version 11.1.2

Lucas Annunziata
Artstation - Gumroad

Stylized Edge Highlight

This easy to use edge highlight node can be used in a variety of ways from a simple color overlay to a mask for blending to really help your materials pop. While its definitely easier to use a node like this for stylized textures, masking edges and breaking them up is a common technique, and I find this node to be helpful for more realistic materials as well.

This node pairs very well with my Random Bevel and Sculpted Edge nodes.

Controls include

Edge breakup Intensity
Choice of preset edge breakup types
Edge Breakup Scale
Final blur Intensity
Secondary Edge Strength
Secondary Edge Width
Secondary Edge Roundness
Enable Mask Switch
Custom Edge Breakup Input Switch

Includes the .SBS so you can learn from or extend the graph in Substance Designer, along with an examples graph

Lucas Annunziata
Artstation - Gumroad

Random Bevel

Often within my workflow in Substance Designer, I would create multiple different bevel sizes to get a different look or feel to bricks, stones, tiles, and many other patterns for a more believable look, along with some subtle variation. I've combined this into 1 simple and easy to use node that takes a black and white mask input and outputs random 4 different random bevel sizes with easy to use controls. If you need more than 4 sizes, you can always blend 2 of these nodes together.

Node Controls:

Bevel Size
Bevel Size Variance Multiplier
Bevel Bias
Corner Type
Smoothing
Mask Dilation
This package includes the .SBS, so you can also learn how it was made and even extend the functionality.

Lucas Annunziata
Artstation - Gumroad

45 Degree Bevel

When working with trim sheets, I always want to start with a perfect 45 degree bevel. This node bevels the same way the default bevel node works, but also outputs a perfect 45 degree angle normal.

Controls include:

Bevel Distance
Corner Type
Smoothing
Output height
Normal Format
Includes the .SBS so you can learn from or extend the graph in Substance Designer

Lucas Annunziata
Artstation - Gumroad

Better Slope Blur

I use slope blur in my workflow all the time, and I got really tired of adjusting the default settings every instance. This simple node combines both Slope Blur and Slope Blur Grayscale into 1 node, and defaults to better settings. The slider also moves in smaller increments so you don't need to type in .01 values.

Includes all the same adjustments as default slope blur, it just uses better default settings and a much lower increment for the slider.

This package includes the .SBS, so you can also learn how it was made and even extend the functionality.

Lucas Annunziata
Artstation - Gumroad