Author Topic: My First Material : Rust  (Read 7707 times)

Hi Ya'll,

I'm really impressed with Allegorithmic's SD.
What should have been a simple rust pattern part of a SD Pod tutorial,
quickly became a whole matter on itself.

SD lets you reiterate so quickly and easily focussing on the desired results instead of the process. This makes it more fun. And extremely powerful. I'm preaching to the choir I know :)

The model is from the Pod tutorial. And I tend to fully texture it using just snippets of my rust material.
Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:01:28 am

That's really a nice rust!
Head of Product Management

Agreed.  Beautiful rust.  Pic of the node tree or some info if you don't mind.

Thank you!

Maybe I will share the graph when it is done.
Actually it is a simple graph. I use 3 types of noise.

The first is manipulated with directional warps then made to a color map with a gradient node some blur added. Also the roughness and metallic are taken from this via greyscale. Of cours the dark areas should take less effect.

The second noise is smaller and more detailed and is blended mostly with the grey and darker areas.

The third noise is white noise and blended mostly to the black areas.
And is smaller in noise output detail.

The last two noises go to the normal mapper.
This is the basic setup with tinkering with blend, hsl, level nodes.


Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:07:10 am

That material looks great!

I like the variations you got going here. Would be interesting to look at your graph.

Well, I lost the file.. dang. So recreated it to the best of my ability,
but now SD keeps crashing upon opening the file.

Will show the graph, perhaps share if alterations made by you will be shared back.
Opensource idea

Depending on what you mean by "lost," if you search around in the .autosave folder(s) you may be able to find your lost file.

I did not know about the autosaves folder.
But the problem was the project was thrown away :( yikes.

I had to recreate it to the best of my ability to remember what I did.
Here's what I came up with: