Author Topic: Seams when using grunge maps  (Read 5910 times)

My models are completely seamless (painted in Mudbox) - with decent UV maps. No seams are visible in Substance Designer or any 3D package, yet whenever I use grunge maps to add dirt - such as height dirt of random dirt, they do not wrap around the model, they add new seams, only visible in the dirt. Turning the dirt off gets rid of the seams.

Any help with this would be great. Thanks.

Turn off "Seams Enable" when baking curvature for grunge

Thanks for the reply. I've tried this but the result is still the same. It happens with filters not using curvature maps too.

At first I thought it was a software limitation, which seemed insane - but watching various tutorials I've seen people getting no seams on complex meshes with dirt filters.

Thanks for the reply. I've tried this but the result is still the same. It happens with filters not using curvature maps too.

At first I thought it was a software limitation, which seemed insane - but watching various tutorials I've seen people getting no seams on complex meshes with dirt filters.

Hi,

Seams are a limitation of applying textures in 2D space. The grunge maps are seamless, but this only helps at the boundaries of the 0-1 space of the UV map. If your UV seams fall within an area of the texture within the 0-1 space that is not tiling, then it will produce a seam.

In these cases, you can use a 3D paint program to paint out the seams. In Substance Designer, you can use the tiling filter such as makeItTile to introduce tiled patches when can help to blend the texture areas within the 0-1 space that are not tiling.

Can you post an image of your UVs?

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks for the reply. I understand the limitations of applying textures in 2D space - I used Photoshop for texturing for a long time until switching to 3D painting. My current workflow is use Substance Painter to paint a basic material, then use Substance Designer to create effects that can be scaled and changed - since the current project I'm on requires multiple repeated characters and pbjects, I'm using SD to create variations in skin tone, dirt etc. that can be changed on the fly to create believable crowds.

I appreciate the ability to paint out seams in 3D, but that kind of removes the point of generating at runtime, since each variation in the grunge map would create new seams.

I'm not sure I fully understand "MakeitTile" - I assume this is similar to the feature in B2M? If so, I may be misunderstanding what you're suggesting.

Hopefully the attachment helps visualize, sorry it's not the greatest, I'm short for time today.

Your help is greatly appreciated.