Author Topic: Nice textures in Substance, bad in UE4....  (Read 10139 times)

Hi dudes !

I ve an issue with substance.
I done my texture set in Substance Painter, the render is cool, and I need to use it for Unreal Engine 4.

I followed this tutorial : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5_bwLc3oYU&index=25&list=PLB0wXHrWAmCx994Cb7iRFSmupYHFw5DTx

I do the same ( export all map, disable sRGB, link Red, Green, and Blue channel on different UE4 settings etc etc... )

The result is not bad, but clearly better in Substance Painter. In UE4 it's blured, scratches too visible etc etc...

How to recover a same result in UE4 ? I forgot an option ?

Thank all, and sorry for my english

Probably most of the difference just because of hdr(environment) map
also UE4 looks better in my opinion. Light is more interesting.

Probably most of the difference just because of hdr(environment) map
also UE4 looks better in my opinion. Light is more interesting.

Hi,

Yes, I agree. I think the issue is that there is not an environment for reflection. You should add a skylight and reflection probes for reflection. The skylight can use a cubemap as well. You can import a .hdr image from the Substance Painter Shelf and apply it as the cube map for the skylight. Then, add reflection probes to the scene.

Cheers,
wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

ok ok thanks dudes =)

Hi,

I up this topic, because I ve another issue like this....

In Substance Designer, my wall is very cool ( picture 1 )

I exporte like with the official video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpuK6FGNNLY&list=PLB0wXHrWAmCx994Cb7iRFSmupYHFw5DTx&index=33

First problem, the normal map generated is really strange, my wall is a simple plane, and substance painter generate a variation color...

Second, you can see on second image, my material, and my disguting material. I checked the RGB channel in UE4, and it's ok : blue is Metallic, Red is Roughness and Green is Ambiant Occlusion.

That is really problematic, because you do a texture during 1 or 2 hours in substance, and impossible to recover this result in Game Engine....

If you have an idea... ( and this time, I tried to use a skylight with hdr, etc....)

up !

I tried many technics, but I ve still this strange gradient on my normal map :/

up !

I tried many technics, but I ve still this strange gradient on my normal map :/

what file format are you exporting from painter?

also with your RMA map, make sure sRGB is turned off, so they are in linear space.

It's a PNG map

And yes, in Unreal Engine, I turn off "sRGB", but the gradient is generated before, when substance export my maps :/

The gradient in your normal map is not an issue. If it looks good in designer it should work fine in UE4.
Check that your used the right normal map space (OpenGL vs DirectX, UE4 expect DirectX).

You will also need to enable a setting in the global preferences of Substance Designer. Go to Tools > Preferences > Projects > User Projects > Enable "compute Binormal in Fragment Shader".
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I'm still having trouble with this issue, and admittedly I'm fairly new to UE4. Even with 'compute tangent spaces per fragment' , and exporting with the UE4 preset checked and directX, AND making sure my maps are set to be normal maps in UE4, ... I still run into this issue with a clean triangulated mesh.

Any help understand what is going on here would be very much appreciated. Still doing research across google but it's a headhunt....

Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 12:06:40 am
3D art is magic.