Author Topic: Horrible performance since 2.2  (Read 7443 times)

Is anyone else having really bad performance since the update? Painter is literally devouring memory in the days since upgrading, i cant perform an large operation without painter freezing my computer up for a few seconds.

they screw every major update, not surprizes me)) just deal with it)

Same here, baking just only two material sets of 4096 size and adding materials to them froze SP2.2 for around 5 minutes, then it crashed. Even if I don't have a monster graphics card, only an NVIDIA GTX-760 with 2 GB dedicated and 4 GB total memory, this hadn't been a problem in the previous version. I had painted many more textures at a time on even larger props before, so I'm confused. I could watch the (dedicated) memory on the graphics card being eaten up entirely.

But even BEFORE baking anything, just after loading the mesh, it already became very stiff to handle. Funny enough, while the brush was inside the 3D viewport it made huge jumps and was very jaggy, as soon as I left the viewport and hovered in one of the tool tabs, or also outside SP2.2 at all, the mouse was immediately back to normal, very smooth and soft...

Then after baking the two material sets, I tried to do a test render in iRay, this was when SP2.2 froze for like 5 minutes, then crashed and shut down without any message or comment.

I tried the 'Change in the registry how long the OS should wait for reply before killing the driver call' thing, like it is suggested in the cryptic log file, but it didn't change anything.

I also tried a small small prop, which changed a little, this one finally rendered, but honestly this is not serious work with only just a few hundred polygons.

Please don't blow up Substance Painter to an amount where it requires supernatural and expensive special computers? I mean, my computer is not THAT bad, i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz, also the good old GeForce GTX 760 (192-bit) is still more than many people have on their computers, shouldn't this be enough? The machine runs well with Lightwave with huge files, hosting a Poser scene open at the same time, rendering Firefly or Lux-Render or iRay and do a little internet research in the meantime, also playing an RC-Model Flight Simulator on both large screens without any interruptions or jaggyness in the frame rate, why not Substance Painter?

Is anyone else having really bad performance since the update?

Yes, progressively worse performance since 2.1.0 actually. I've had to finish up a couple of pieces in Mari. I really like SP but can't wait 2+ minutes to save or select a texture set everytime I need to.

i7-4790 32GB Ram GTX 1080 Windows 7 pro SP1

On my laptop with 16GB of ram and a 960M, performance has not decreased since SP 2.0 and switching texture sets never takes more than 20 - 30s maximum with pretty dense layer stacks.

What you guys describe is more likely specific, maybe hardware or driver related, bugs than a global performance decrease (some users are reporting a performance increase with SP2.2).

The easiest way for us to figure out what is going on is to send us the projects that feel sluggish along with a dxdiag and a log file.

Same here, baking just only two material sets of 4096 size and adding materials to them froze SP2.2 for around 5 minutes, then it crashed. Even if I don't have a monster graphics card, only an NVIDIA GTX-760 with 2 GB dedicated and 4 GB total memory, this hadn't been a problem in the previous version. I had painted many more textures at a time on even larger props before, so I'm confused. I could watch the (dedicated) memory on the graphics card being eaten up entirely.

But even BEFORE baking anything, just after loading the mesh, it already became very stiff to handle. Funny enough, while the brush was inside the 3D viewport it made huge jumps and was very jaggy, as soon as I left the viewport and hovered in one of the tool tabs, or also outside SP2.2 at all, the mouse was immediately back to normal, very smooth and soft...

Then after baking the two material sets, I tried to do a test render in iRay, this was when SP2.2 froze for like 5 minutes, then crashed and shut down without any message or comment.

I have the same card, never had any issues until this update. Its not even crashes being an issue for me..its just lock ups on doing basically everything. Even working at 1k locks up for at least 30 seconds. I just tried to rebake some maps at 2k and my computer locked, i had to hit reset.

On my laptop with 16GB of ram and a 960M, performance has not decreased since SP 2.0 and switching texture sets never takes more than 20 - 30s maximum with pretty dense layer stacks.

What you guys describe is more likely specific, maybe hardware or driver related, bugs than a global performance decrease (some users are reporting a performance increase with SP2.2).

The easiest way for us to figure out what is going on is to send us the projects that feel sluggish along with a dxdiag and a log file.

It's not specific projects, it does it with pretty much everything..even a small project. All my drivers are up to date as well.
Where can i send the Dxdiag and log .txt, i made both.

Ok this is getting ridiculous, i cant user Painter at all like this. All i have to do is make a black mask for a fill layer ....and my entire computer will lock up for a good 30-40 seconds ( cant even use mouse or anything)  . I keep getting this message on my log, not sure it is related.

[WARN] <GPUIssuesCheck> The current TDR (GPU hang recovery) delay is low: 2s.
   Substance Painter can be interrupted by the OS when doing a long computation.

I attached the log and dxdiag

Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:53:16 am

Could you try rolling back your drivers to version 362?
We've noticed more TDR error with the most recent NVidia drivers.
Also, did you check this?
https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/GPU+drivers+crash+with+long+computations

https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/GPU+drivers+crash+with+long+computations

Downgraded back to 362...did nothing. Is there a way i can dowgrade painter back to 2.1 on steam so i can get work done?  I dont need anything in the update until this gets fixed.

As for the TDR timeout thing, yes, I had mentioned in my post that I have tried this, but it made no difference. Also I had attached my log and xdiag file.

My driver version is 368.39, I had remained with the 362 for a while because of your suggestion, but then after long time wanted to keep pace with drivers, because I don't want huge gaps. However this is not the most recent NVIDIA driver I'm using, because they send updates really too often, and it keeps me away from work all the time. They are now offering 368.81 but I'm still delaying.

However I am definitely not ready to roll back to a 362 driver (even if I knew how to do this), really. My SP2.1 used to work well with the current driver 368.39, the problem occurred after updating to SP2.2, so this is where I expect the bug. Should I be forced to fall back anywhere (and I MUST do something, because my work is delayed already, right now I'm in desperate need for Substance Painter for two projects) then I would downgrade Substance Painter from 2.2 back to 2.1 which worked just fine, apart from the bug with the plugin tab which was not allowed to be undocked and moved. I can't see how the problems I am having with SP2.2 as compared to SP2.1 can suddenly be caused by my hardware, really?
Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:17:47 am

Hi,

We didn't notice any performance downgrade among our users with SP 2.1 and 2.2. When there was a problem this was each time due to a driver/hardware problem, or some other software that were installed (raptr with AMD GPU for example).
So to make it clear: the performances you are having are of course not normal at all, and you shouldn't have any trouble like this.

It seems you are 2 to have the same problems with GTX 760, so it's likely there is a specific problem with this card we need to investigate.

Cheers,
Head of Product Management

Here is a link to the 2.1 release, please let us know if it restores better performance for you:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5f889blbh1r54h/Substance_Painter_2-2.1.0.1212-msvc11-x64-standard-full.exe?dl=0

Hi,

We didn't notice any performance downgrade among our users with SP 2.1 and 2.2. When there was a problem this was each time due to a driver/hardware problem, or some other software that were installed (raptr with AMD GPU for example).
So to make it clear: the performances you are having are of course not normal at all, and you shouldn't have any trouble like this.

It seems you are 2 to have the same problems with GTX 760, so it's likely there is a specific problem with this card we need to investigate.

Cheers,

Some more info that may help. A friend was also having issues..hes using a 780...so possibly 700 card series. It also seems to be strictly bakes that are done in 4k..and there seems to be a lot of hang on  the position and thickness map when baking in 4k.