Author Topic: From "Lead" to Gold  (Read 4996 times)

Hey guys...

I am diving a little further into Substance Designer, and I want to start out by working on my first effect (after watching the video series by Wes McDermott... turning an object (In this case a character) into gold, kinda similar to the King Midas story where anything he touched turned into gold.

Now I have already made the graphs that I need to get the effect working... in this case, it is just overriding the Diffuse, Roughness, and Metallic channels in the body graph. (I also want this to override two graphs at the same time)

I am thinking of using a filter that has a positional input (trying to find one) and it will spread from the middle of an object until it is completely gold, with some sort of procedural effect like cracks or spots. An analogy I can use is the gargoyles turning into stone like in the cartoon series. And I will expose a parameter that will turn the effect into gold with one slider.

Do you guys have an efficient of way of making sure this effect goes across ALL of the materials I am using? Thanks a bunch. Here are two screenshots of my idea.

Thanks

Here is the some progress... I have the effect working the way I want it, using a grunge map, however, I want to add some bidirectional effect, like a plague spreading in both directions.  I found a node called Direction to Normal, but for some reason I cannot add to the graph (I guess it's a function).

Right now, the effect is too random.

Hey guys... I am still working on this effect... still trying to get the gold effect to spread vertically with no success.

It's looking good!

I'm still trying to set up the bidirectional part of it... not easy.

Hi KrGraphics,

If you need to spread the effect from the middle to the sides of the object, you can use the "Position" baker.
You can bake one axis: Y (the vertical one), use a "gradient map" filter just after it to set the middle color at white and borders at black.
Then use the "histogram scan" filter with some contrast, and use a "warp" node to create the cracks. You can also use the grunge map as you did in the process to add some random.
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

Hi KrGraphics,

If you need to spread the effect from the middle to the sides of the object, you can use the "Position" baker.
You can bake one axis: Y (the vertical one), use a "gradient map" filter just after it to set the middle color at white and borders at black.
Then use the "histogram scan" filter with some contrast, and use a "warp" node to create the cracks. You can also use the grunge map as you did in the process to add some random.

I was just banging my head about this... gonna try it now. I also need the colour
Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:22:24 pm

Looks like it works... but how do i enable tiling? And how do I set up how many tiles I need?

As the position is mesh based, I'm not sure what you mean by "enable tiling", but if you need a different gradient for each part, you can use several "Gradient map" nodes and use the UV parts as mask to blend them.
This way the effect can start in the middle of each element (for example one for the leg, another one for the head, etc.)

You can also add more keys to your gradient map if you need the gradient to be repeated based on the vertical position.
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

In the transform2d node, it reads Tiling x4. How do I enable that?

Transformation2d -> Specific Parameters -> Stretch
This option responsible for tiling
100% = 1
200% = 2
and so on.

Already found this effect :)... and it's awesome... I have another question in a new post to create an instance of the effect.