Author Topic: Cartoony/HandPainted Substance Experiment  (Read 22540 times)

These look awesome.
Little trick to make your cracks more beleivable, use a strong directional warp on them with each brick of your wall colored with a plain greyscale value as mask for the warp.

That way it will offset the crack pattern with a different value for each brick and the cracks won't look like they propagate from one brick to the next.

Jeremie,

Can you elaborate on that? Each brick is masked with a different greyscale value? How do you create the mask?

These look awesome.
Little trick to make your cracks more beleivable, use a strong directional warp on them with each brick of your wall colored with a plain greyscale value as mask for the warp.

That way it will offset the crack pattern with a different value for each brick and the cracks won't look like they propagate from one brick to the next.

I get the idea, and mental math for this, but I haven't yet been able to execute this. Any hints? :)

Sorry guys I've missed all this.   I'm gonna try that technique out and repost.   Thank you for the tips.   I've also started using substance to create zbrush alphas and have created a video primer on how to use substance

Love the handpainted work, arvinmoses! Looks awesome.
Anthony Garcellano | Environment Artist
www.artstation.com/garcellano

Pure gold. I love the stylized look and really hope to do some experimenting myself. As has been said, I'd love any information on how you built this!

Can you elaborate on that? Each brick is masked with a different greyscale value? How do you create the mask?

I made a quick 4 min vid demonstrating this concept, just in case you want to take a look :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fDQ3s1_VI0

@jamesfsky

thanks for this quick vid - works good, but you get cracks in between the bricks, which I would consider "un-wanted".

@arvinmoses

Really love to see the sbsar updated !

Cheers!

Sorry for the lack of updates.   Busy month for work.   

Regarding how to make it... The idea is you still need to know how to paint.   You push shadows and raise highlights.

Some little tips -
Use gradient maps.   These can really give you either a soft transition or harsh transition on color values.   They are also very good to use after a blur to sharpen the results.

Use a double blur.   The first blur will still give you a rough edge.   Two blurs will give you a similar effect to a Gaussian blur.

Run all noise details through blurs then sharpen with a gradient map.

I think this one is finally done.  I'm pretty happy with the final results.  Thanks for the tip - Jeremie and Jeff.  That worked out perfectly.  Will try to post some updates, finish the scene, and move on to the Titan.

Just a test render in Modo. 

thank you for uploading some youtube videos

I can't comment on the videos, I don't have google+ or whatever

was the cartoony look, is it all pulled off inside of Substance, or or peopel have to know how to use other programs?

NP.  It's all done in substance

NP.  It's all done in substance

A tutorial / sbs would be awesome!!!

Cheers