Author Topic: Linear gamma?  (Read 3505 times)

I couldn't find anything about working with a linear gamma output in SD. I am guessing 2.2 is default?
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast

No, there is no Gamma correction in SD.
Does it really makes sense to work in a linear workflow during texturing stage?
"Hinhin!" :-D

Yes it does make sense.  If you are working linear and you are outputting different components to be blended by a linear shader, you need to be able to see the effect.  You also need to be able to manage the difference between color maps and parameter maps.  And since one of the major advantages of substance designer is working in a common tree, that tree needs to be able to differentiate and convert internally between colors and parameters.

I think it's missing two important things for color management.  First, a function based rgba profile curve color node.  Second, a 4x4 color matrix multiply node.  Those two nodes would allow color management by profile adjustment and gamut mapping.

Yes it does make sense.  If you are working linear and you are outputting different components to be blended by a linear shader, you need to be able to see the effect.
I am ok with that, doing this on the shader input is already feasible I think. Having a linear preview in the 3D view would be killer, but I still do not understand how people can possibly work in a linear space while creating the texture. Unless you are expecting to output an already linearised texture, I can only see this with both a 2D and 3D view that have the ability to switch to a 2.2 gamma.

I think it's missing two important things for color management.  First, a function based rgba profile curve color node.  Second, a 4x4 color matrix multiply node.  Those two nodes would allow color management by profile adjustment and gamut mapping.
I believe the curve based color profiler would be a global set of options, right? Or do you see it as custom node with which you can manage color correction on a node basis?
As for the 4x4 matrix node, I guess you are thinking about something similar to Nuke's Shuffle node.

"Hinhin!" :-D