Author Topic: Question about Bitmap2Material Substances and Unreal 4  (Read 4989 times)

Does the Substance Designer to UE4 integration allow us to use Bitmap2Material in a similar fashion to the UDK integration?
Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 06:55:00 pm

Hi

One of the current known issues is that substances that use image inputs (like B2M for instance) are not supported yet. We are already testing a new build of the plugin that would allow you to use these substances, though, and will keep you posted on when it's released, hopefully in a few days at most.

Best Regards,
Eric

Hi

One of the current known issues is that substances that use image inputs (like B2M for instance) are not supported yet. We are already testing a new build of the plugin that would allow you to use these substances, though, and will keep you posted on when it's released, hopefully in a few days at most.

Best Regards,
Eric

Thank you for considering thi issue. I hope your new build works with 4.1 preview build too. Thanks.

I hope, as you guys are probably the first company to implement an external plugin for UE4, that you are letting Epic know that having a plugin architecture and code base that is changing so dramatically that plugins do not work between versions (4.02 and 4.1) is super not-cool for their customers who might be in production using Speedtree or Substance Designer or maybe any plugin when Epic updates their code and then the customer has to wait days and weeks for things to work again.

As much as I love Blender (I work with it) that is one of the most frustrating and unprofessional aspects that reminds me that I'm working with beta software that is in a constant development phase and may not be ready for serious production.

I think that until the dust settles and the API and engine's internals stabilize a bit more, it is likely that we'll have to update the plugin for each official release. Of course, this will depend on which area of the code change between releases, and on how much change there is. We'll of course do our best to provide updates as soon as new builds are released by Epic.

As far as I know we haven't looked at the 4.1 preview yet. We'll first stabilize the plugin for 4.0.2 (multiple substances in one project, image inputs and so on) before jumping on the 4.1 bandwagon. Hopefully by the time we look at it it will have been officially released. Has anyone heard anything about an official release date for 4.1 ?

Best Regards,
Eric

multiple substances in one project

Hi Eric,
    I updated the thread regarding this.  Just wanted to make sure you got updated.  As far as I can figure out, it's not the importing of the substance that creates the issue.  It is generating a new instance. 

Also you can have more than one substance instance.  You just load one, save, restart, then load the second one.  Hope that helps narrowing the issue.

Thank you for the update. This particular issue is fixed already, we're in the final steps of validating the fix and preparing a new release with it.

Best Regards,
Eric

Alright!!!

Thanks Eric

Thanks Eric for correcting those errors. I hope you consider trying to make it work with 4.1 preview build since it is the target of the next release. When the official 4.1 launch, you will find it ready without any hurdle (I am sure 4.1 preview build and 4.1 full release will share same structure so it won't be a problem then). Thanks

Thanks for the Reply! Excited to work with Bitmap to material in my UE4 project!

Has anyone heard anything about an official release date for 4.1 ?

Best Regards,
Eric

The official full release of 4.1 will be out next week. So every plugin provider must hurry to provide us with the working version of their plugins before next week. I hope allegorihtmic will be on time to support 4.1 with a perfect substance plugin when it will release next week.

Any chance of the fix rolling out this week?  I know you guys are based out of France and it is Good Friday and everything.

Unfortunately the fix we have for this issue exposes more weird stuff in our plugin and in UE4's libJPG, so this is why we haven't released an update yet. Things should hopefully move at a quicker pace next week.

Thanks a lot for your patience.

Best Regards,
Eric

Thanks for the update!