Author Topic: Can't see my Substance Database materials in SP2.  (Read 3430 times)

I had 100 materials that I downloaded off the Substance Database a while back. I used them with Substance Painter 1 no problem. I've been trying to bring these over to Substance Painter 2, but I can't see them.

I put the sbsar files in the shelf > materials folder. Nothing new shows up when I open Substance Painter 2 under materials.

Are you putting them in the Documents/Substance Painter 2/ folder?
That was my problem when I upgraded to Painter 2, the file in documents has a different name.
We are creative performers

Yeah, I copied them from the SP1 folder to the SP2 folder. I put them in sp2 > shelf > materials. I also put them in one or two other places like shelf > presets > materials. It doesn't do anything.

I managed to drag and drop them into SP2, but not all of them work. Some of them are just black. So, this still isn't working as well as it did in SP1.

I paid more for these textures than I did for the upgrade to SP2. I'm really not happy about this.

Here is a picture showing the difference. Look at the black wood textures in sp2 at the bottom.

Also, why is sp2 missing materials? There seems to be more in sp1. Where is uniform bump? I loved that material for painting height data.
Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:48:44 pm

Yeah, I copied them from the SP1 folder to the SP2 folder. I put them in sp2 > shelf > materials. I also put them in one or two other places like shelf > presets > materials. It doesn't do anything.

I managed to drag and drop them into SP2, but not all of them work. Some of them are just black. So, this still isn't working as well as it did in SP1.

I paid more for these textures than I did for the upgrade to SP2. I'm really not happy about this.

Here is a picture showing the difference. Look at the black wood textures in sp2 at the bottom.

Also, why is sp2 missing materials? There seems to be more in sp1. Where is uniform bump? I loved that material for painting height data.

Hi,

When you say some of them don't work, is that just the thumbnail or when you using in the layer stack, it doesn't work? Which viewport shader are you using?

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I opened an old project and created a fill layer.

Filling it with a wood texture that has a colored thumbnail works fine.

Filling it with a wood texture with the black thumbnail only produces height/bump data. It doesn't fill with color.

I was using whatever viewport shader was on by default. I put it on dota2 or a couple others, but it didn't seem to change anything.

I counted over 25 of my downloaded textures are black (and not working). I also noticed that some of my favorite materials that I was using from SP1 are not here. Fur cow long and uniform bump don't seem to be here, with probably others missing as well. What's going on, seriously?

All I wanted from this update was access to a blur and smudge tool, and I lost so much in the process that I can't even use the program.

Well, I tried a few more things.

First off, I found that I can import my old materials like uniform bump from SP1 and use them in SP2. So, that's good. (though I still have no idea why they are not here by default. Why take away things?).

Next, I tried installing a new graphics diver (nvidia). I didn't really see any difference.

I tried downloading a new copy of the materials that were showing as black. No real difference with the new one.

I removed the materials and tried to bring them in again. I set the materials folder to no longer be read only. SP2 seemed to like this and showed them. I don't think running as administrator made any difference other than blocking drag and drop, so I don't use run as admin.

I still had the issue of the materials with black previews not working. However, with some tinkering, I noticed that the materials are just turned off. I can click a material and then in the properties on the right side, I can reactivate color, height, rough, and metal. Only height is on by default. Of course, I have to do this each time I select the material for use since it always reverts to height only.

Even with that workaround, I still do not like black previews. While this does not affect the texture, it makes it harder to me to tell what the material is supposed to be. I just have to use it and see what happens to know what the texture looks like, and this is not ideal, especially with over 100 materials, and probably 25 or more being black.

Can you :
- Give us the path where you installed the substance database ?
- Attach your log file ? https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Exporting+the+log+file
- Tell us which default shader is set in the main preferences ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

1. I put them in documents > substance painter 2 > shelf > materials

2. I'll attach a log.

3. Well, I see pbr-metal-rough (outdated) showing up when I open my old project. When I start a new one, it is the same but it doesn't say outdated. I assume this is what you wanted. I'm just looking at the info under the viewer settings column.