Author Topic: Substance plugin for UE4 - How to get it working  (Read 131299 times)

I think I have to wait... untill a nice guy post a video tutorial how to setup & use this plugin... :)

The video would just be extracting the zip file into your UE4 project folder, so the install video would be very short :)

as for using it, the twich stream is live on youtube here, showing how you can get started with the plugin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7g4q4iubvg

Hi

I'm using substance designer on Mac and I also have Unreal installed.

I created a folder called "Plugins" on my Users/[my user name]/Documents/Unreal Projects/[MyProject]

In there I unzipped the contents of "SubstanceMac_4410_0.zip" I downloaded from your site.

So in [My Project] I now have Substance/..."Binaries,Resources,Source, Substance.uplugin"

My question is this the correct setup and what am I supposed to do at this point to get my Substance to show up inside of Unreal Engine 4?

Hi Skycastle, Please verify the Substance folder is inside the Plugins folder in your project, like the attached image. I know it's windows but the same structure applies for Mac:

I've been trying to get this to work for hours.

Does 4.4. support Substances natively or do we still need to go through these steps?
If so, I already have 4.4 installed, but how risky will it be to add try to add the substance plugin? What are the chances of it breaking my UE4 install?

I've been trying to get this to work for hours.

Does 4.4. support Substances natively or do we still need to go through these steps?
If so, I already have 4.4 installed, but how risky will it be to add try to add the substance plugin? What are the chances of it breaking my UE4 install?

There is no direct support in the engine, you need to install the plugin manually. Contrary to the UE3 integration, in UE4 you have to install any plugin manually. At least for now.

The risks are almost inexistent. If in any way the plugin was behaving incorrectly, you can remove the Substance folder from the plugin directory to get rid of the plugin. All the resources flagged as substance in your content browser will stop being visible as the engine will not be able to recognize them. Your blueprint will not be able to recompile until you get rid of the substance node functions (which will no longer exist).

Anyway, if the plugin break, just report the problem and we will fix it ! :)
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

hi guys!

I could really need some help getting this plugin to work :/ 
I read through the thread and followed the instructions, but there's gotto be something I've missed..   

so by default my project is from the blueprint example in UE4; 
engine version is 4.4.3;  I'm always starting it from the launcher.

after reading through the thread I downloaded visual studio express for windows desktop and added some code to my blueprint unreal project.  that worked fine.

also creating a new unreal project in code rather than blueprint worked fine.

now, whenever I tried to unzip the plugin (which I downloaded just yesterday from the website here actually, so I'm assuming it's the latest) and launch my project  I get the 'error, can't compile game' type of message.  :/

so in terms of individual steps :

-updated UE4 yesterday
-downloaded substance plugin yesterday
-installed visual studio express windows desktop
-launched my blueprint project and added some code
-unzipped substance plugin into my /documents/unreal projects/etc etc  folder
-open unreal launcher
-load my project
-can't compile error

any ideas what I could be missing?

thanks a lot!

Hi HsbF6,

The latest version of the plugin is meant to be compatible with UE 4.5 . Are you able to update the latest version of UE4?

hi josh!

dang! 
when I ran UE launcher last night it prompted me to a 800mb update of UE4 and I *thought* that must be the latest file..   however, I'm pretty sure it said 4.4 afterwards. 
I'll check again when I'm home from work today. thanks for pointing that out!
everything else seems fine to you installation-wise? 

thank you!

Yea everything else looks great! If you still run into issues post in this thread.

oh my gawd.. :D  total n00b mistake.
that worked. 
thanks a lot josh!

hi josh!

dang! 
when I ran UE launcher last night it prompted me to a 800mb update of UE4 and I *thought* that must be the latest file..   however, I'm pretty sure it said 4.4 afterwards. 
I'll check again when I'm home from work today. thanks for pointing that out!
everything else seems fine to you installation-wise? 

thank you!
so if you have 4.5 already compiled on your computer you just copy the latest plugin to whatever project folder you are working on and then open that project? Sorry I just make art this plugin installation stuff is very confusing to me.

I keep getting these errors.

Error   1   error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'unicode/locid.h': No such file or directory   c:\users\joshua\desktop\allgorithmic ue4\unrealengine-0.3-preview-bin\engine\source\runtime\core\private\internationalization\ICUCulture.h   6   1   UE4

Error   2   error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'unicode/locid.h': No such file or directory   C:\Users\Joshua\Desktop\Allgorithmic UE4\UnrealEngine-0.3-preview-bin\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\GenericPlatform\GenericPlatformMisc.cpp   19   1   UE4

Error   3   error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ThirdParty/zlib/zlib-1.2.5/Inc/zlib.h': No such file or directory   C:\Users\Joshua\Desktop\Allgorithmic UE4\UnrealEngine-0.3-preview-bin\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Misc\Compression.cpp   13   1   UE4

Error   4   error : Failed to produce item: C:\Users\Joshua\Desktop\Allgorithmic UE4\UnrealEngine-0.3-preview-bin\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealHeaderTool.exe   C:\Users\Joshua\Desktop\Allgorithmic UE4\UnrealEngine-0.3-preview-bin\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\ERROR   UE4

Error   5   error : UnrealHeaderTool failed for target 'UE4Editor' (platform: Win64, module info: C:\Users\Joshua\Desktop\Allgorithmic UE4\UnrealEngine-0.3-preview-bin\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UnrealHeaderTool.manifest).   C:\Users\Joshua\Desktop\Allgorithmic UE4\UnrealEngine-0.3-preview-bin\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\EXEC   UE4

Error   6   error MSB3073: The command "..\..\Build\BatchFiles\Rebuild.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development" exited with code 1.   C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets   43   5   UE4

I think that it may be doing it because I put the substance download in the plugins folder of my 4.5 engine that I already had working before doing it the proper way with the compiling method. it actually loaded the gynoid project and it worked but I had to compile 1200+ shaders and it ran really slow. any help is much appreciated!

so if you have 4.5 already compiled on your computer you just copy the latest plugin to whatever project folder you are working on and then open that project? Sorry I just make art this plugin installation stuff is very confusing to me.

That is correct!

I keep getting these errors.

Hi josh_oberg,

Those look to be errors compiling UE4, not the plugin. Did you download UE 4.5 from the Unreal Launcher, or are you trying to compile via Github?

Hi, I have UE4 4.5.0
I download the plugins for UE4, I unzip the folder in the project folder as show by @Josh Coyne, but is still doesn't work.
When I launch the project "Atlantis" I get this message "The fallowing modules are missing or built with a different engine version: UE4Editor-Atlantis.dll Would you like to rebuild them now ?
If I say "yes" I get that : "Atlantis could not be compiled. try rebuilding from source manually.
If I say "no" nothing happen, nothing launch.

I am an artist so honestly I am a little bit lost.
Thanks