Author Topic: Substance plugin for UE4 - How to get it working  (Read 156915 times)

hd_

Any chance to allow for generating 4096x4096 in UE4?

Will the next version support UE4.1? Thanks for getting this new SD plugin done and working beautifully.

Yes probably but not in same day of the release .

Wouldn't the logical thing be to add the plugin directly to the UE4 source at the official Epic repository and check it in for inclusion?  Then make the needed changes during the version development cycle.

@foundre69:

Here is some information from the first post, maybe this answers your question:

Rest assured that we are working with Epic towards a simpler way of distributing a binary plugin. One way of simplifying this would be getting Epic to merge our source code changes into their official releases (after validating that everything still works with or without the Substance plugin being available), so that we don't have to ship these changes anymore. We'll see how it goes and we'll keep you posted.

@foundre69:

Here is some information from the first post, maybe this answers your question:

Rest assured that we are working with Epic towards a simpler way of distributing a binary plugin. One way of simplifying this would be getting Epic to merge our source code changes into their official releases (after validating that everything still works with or without the Substance plugin being available), so that we don't have to ship these changes anymore. We'll see how it goes and we'll keep you posted.

Okay its been a few months/weeks now, I wasn't able to successfully compile my own version of Unreal 4... this is kind of offputting for me considering the main reason I got Substance was to try and incorporate it in to my Unreal 4 productions. Any idea of a timeframe for when this is actually going to be incorporated in to UE4?

I've heard rumor that Epic wants to see this working too and that we might hear something positive about integration in the next 30 days. You are not alone in wanting things like Substance just to work in Unreal, I'm also waiting for Speedtree, Wwise Audio, and Simplygon. Come on Epic you guys are crippling some of us.

I've heard rumor that Epic wants to see this working too and that we might hear something positive about integration in the next 30 days. You are not alone in wanting things like Substance just to work in Unreal, I'm also waiting for Speedtree, Wwise Audio, and Simplygon. Come on Epic you guys are crippling some of us.

I hope, that Epic seizes that chance better ealier than later - let´s close that gap!

I hope, that Epic seizes that chance better ealier than later - let´s close that gap!

Wwise?? That is one monetary bomb I'd much rather avoid. If you're Indie, fmod let's you use their API for free, as long as your budget is below $100.000. As compared to $750 for anything lower than $150.000. But I take it as that isn't an issue for you :) But SpeedTree, a huge yes :) About the same as Wwise I know, but far more bang for the buck. Simplygon, I have no use for. In that case I would rather go for Balancer (http://www.atangeo.com) which is much cheaper to use. And frankly, the end results (to me) look similar. They even have a free version (provided your needs are smaller) But again, that isn't an issue if you're a well funded studio of course :) Just some tips if it helps someone.

Hi Guys,

I have no problem building Allegorithmics version of UE4, but when I run the build it can't find the sample content or the launcher.  It offers me an installer for the launcher which installs fine but then it can't find the build (just says "no engine installed").

Any suggestions?

Btw, I figured out that the error message I was getting in the new project window was not about not finding the sample content, it was being caused by the default folder location for new projects being over the network which UE4 didn't like (you just change it to a local location and it all works fine). 

Hi guys, I just finished up my first substance and downloaded UE4.  I clicked on the link to GitHub so that i could download the plugin, but it says the page can't be found?

Is this only happening to me? I made an account too just incase the page was restricted but still no luck.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Yeah same.. I was going to try it and no files.. Is it integrated into UE4 or what reason is there for taking it down??

You need to be logged in with the GitHUB account linked to your Epic account to be able to access the page.

Thanks Jeremie.  andreas_2 go on to your UE4 account and then 'my account' options, there you can input your GitHub account and link it.

Now for my new problem... Last night, I was able to see the substance plugin enabled in my plugin editor, so, happy enough, I turned off my computer.  When I returned this morning the substance plugin is now gone. I opened Visual Studio 2013 and used 'Build Solution' again, (this worked).  Is this something I will have to do every time I turn my PC on or did I simply forget to save something?  But more to the point, I have a problem with importing my sbsar file - I drag and drop my sbsar into the content browser, it gives me import options, i proceed, i am prompted with the exact same window again, i proceed and then UE4 crashes.. Any idea why? Also just to make sure, what version of UE4 am I supposed to be running this on? 4.2.1, 4.1.2 or 4.0.2?

Again, any help would be great, thanks!  Sorry for the hassle.
Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:25:11 am