Author Topic: What is the proper way to compile and setup the UE4 plugin?  (Read 14726 times)

So, I downloaded the substance UE4 plugin source package from here, copied it into a fresh folder of the UE4 source (downloaded from Epic's github). So... when I try to generate project files, I get the following error message in the log:

Setting up Unreal Engine 4 project files...
Binding IntelliSense data... 0%ERROR: Couldn't find module rules file for module 'SubstanceCore'.

GenerateProjectFiles ERROR: UnrealBuildTool was unable to generate project files.

Any advice? I'm probably doing this wrong, so... what is the proper way to do it?

I've also tried copying the binary files from the source package to the engine release version folder (downloaded through the launcher, version 4.0.2), and I'm getting the error messages (partly in German due to OS language, sorry):

First message:
Der Prozedureinsprungpunkt "?PostEditImport@UMaterialExpression@@UEAAXXZ" wurde in der DLL "UE4Editor-Engine.dll" nicht gefunden.

The second part means "was not found in the DLL", but no clue how to properly translate "Prozedureinsprungpunkt", sorry.

Second message:
Plugin 'Substance' failed to load because module 'SubstanceCore' could not be loaded. The plugin's functionality will not be available. There may be an operating system error or the module may not be properly set up.

Third message:
Der Prozedureinsprungpunkt "?GetTexture2DRHI@FTexture2DDynamicResource@@QEAA?AV?$TRefCountPtr@VFRHITexture2D@@@@XZ" wurde in der DLL "UE4Editor-Engine.dll" nicht gefunden.

Fourth message:
Plugin 'Substance' failed to load because module 'SubstanceEditor' could not be loaded. The plugin's functionality will not be available. There may be an operating system error or the module may not be properly set up.

Any advice?
Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:00:17 pm

We are supposed to compile a new version of UE4 with SD support ourselves. I'm having an impossible go at it, after installing everything that Epic's Github page says to do, I run the .bat file and it throws an error with no help of how to move past this point.

The guys at Allegorithmic are VERY aware of our frustrations and inability to proceed - they ARE working on a solution right now!

Hello!

The reason you are getting this issue is because not all of the changes are located within the binaries. There are some changes made to the core UE4 Engine. The binaries will not work if you copy them over a vanilla UE4 repo.

We are going to improve the getting started documentation on github, but in the meantime, here are the steps to follow:

1) clone the repo at https://github.com/Allegorithmic/UnrealEngine
2) Extract Required_1of2.zip and Required_2of2.zip you download from Epic's github page
3) Generate the project files
4) Compile using Visual Studio
5) When first ran, confirm the Substance Plugin is enabled through Window->Plugins on the menu bar.

Thanks, I figured it out myself in the meantime and got it to work - I thought I'd post a "for dummies" guide too, for other people who have the same difficulties getting it to work: http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,1223.msg5321.html#msg5321

Very well done Kashaar, thank you!

How to download it? I get an error 404. I am an authorized user of github

You need to be logged in to GitHub, and have your GitHub account linked to your UnrealEngine account. If it still doesn't work, I'm at a loss, sorry.