Author Topic: how to achieve actual displacement ?  (Read 10183 times)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLM7TSiqzNk

in that video on 0:34 there is a box with actual displacement on it
I mean all sides are displaced
I know that normal maps its only illusion like bump map 

I assume that box is a height map on displacemend height channel , right ? its not a normal map I mean

Hi,

Indeed the render uses displacement. You can use the "Height" output (in case you want all frequencies) or the "Displacement" output (and set its resolution in the "Relief" group).

If you use B2M on Windows, you also have the possibility to get a preview using the "Tessellation" shader (picture joined to this comment). By clicking on "Materials>Default>Edit" you can modify the "Scale" parameter in order to affect the displacement amount. The "Tessellation Factor" is here to subdivide your model (in order to get a proper result).
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

Hi,

Indeed the render uses displacement. You can use the "Height" output (in case you want all frequencies) or the "Displacement" output (and set its resolution in the "Relief" group).

If you use B2M on Windows, you also have the possibility to get a preview using the "Tessellation" shader (picture joined to this comment). By clicking on "Materials>Default>Edit" you can modify the "Scale" parameter in order to affect the displacement amount. The "Tessellation Factor" is here to subdivide your model (in order to get a proper result).

thank you for your comprehensive answer

let me ask you this , new versions of your softwares has 8k experimental support
but I can't create 8k image in painter nor in designer it only allowes 4k
you can say 8k is for export only , ok then what is the reason to export 8k if you can't work in 8k
if you paint in 4k and export in 8k it will stretch your image right ?
Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:39:09 pm

About the 8k support:
- In Substance Designer : you can set the size limit to 8k (in Tools>Preferences>Cooking size limit), you'll then be able to generate 8k, however it can be really heavy to compute (depends on your hardware, mainly the GPU).
- In Substance Player : you can also generate 8k (Options>Set size limit) but it will also be heavy as the B2M3 filter do a lot of different processes to compute the outputs.
- In Substance Painter : if you export 8k, it will recompute the document at this resolution, not upscale a 4k result to 8k. It can be done because we store everything the user do in the document, this way we can generate it at an upper resolution later. To test it, you can work at 256x256 in your document, then export to 2k, you'll notice it's not upscaled but recomputed.
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com