Author Topic: How to get clumps like in soil?  (Read 2511 times)

How can clumps like the clumps of dirt/soil in the image be made in Designer? I tried use an image input into a tile generator, but I can't figure out how to get the same kind of variation as in the image.

Are you wanting varying levels of dirt in your normal/height map?  Or clumps of dirt as in the screen shot?  I know of a couple ways to do it but I'd have to play around in SD myself.  I'll try to this afternoon and screenshot the node set up. Also, you should check out Rogelio Olguin's tutorial on cobblestone.  t'll set you up to work with natural and organic textures. 

Simply using an image to build what you're trying to do won't work very well.  I tried it myself in the beginning.  I think we all do at one point.  The image can be used in addition to procedural nodes to mix it up, I have a material built that way.

https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials/substance-designer

In the first image, the first Blend node is set to Min(darken), the second Blend should be set to Overlay with the opacity set to about half, give or take your liking.  This is one of many ways to do it.  I just opened up a rock mask I have and changed the Cells in the node to give it a bumpier look.  Play with your noise masks to find a look that works for you.  Copy this and paste it and increase the size of the clump in the Splatter settings to produce larger variations.

In the second image is a dirt mask.  The only blend node that changes modes is the third one at the end to Soft Light with a very low opacity.  The other two should have low opacities(sp?) as well but you can make up your mind on where you want them to sit.  The Directional Warps will swirl the "dirt" around all dependent on the noise you use, angle and intensity. 

I am unsure of how much you know about SD and could go into more detail but I think this is a good start.  More than likely Wes or Vince will come around to this post and share their thoughts as well.  They work for Allegorithmic and have been very helpful to me in the past.  I highly suggest that tutorial.  It goes into more detail of what I spoke of here.  I hope this is helpful and I'll try to keep tabs on it when you post your reply.

In the first image, the first Blend node is set to Min(darken), the second Blend should be set to Overlay with the opacity set to about half, give or take your liking.  This is one of many ways to do it.  I just opened up a rock mask I have and changed the Cells in the node to give it a bumpier look.  Play with your noise masks to find a look that works for you.  Copy this and paste it and increase the size of the clump in the Splatter settings to produce larger variations.

In the second image is a dirt mask.  The only blend node that changes modes is the third one at the end to Soft Light with a very low opacity.  The other two should have low opacities(sp?) as well but you can make up your mind on where you want them to sit.  The Directional Warps will swirl the "dirt" around all dependent on the noise you use, angle and intensity. 

I am unsure of how much you know about SD and could go into more detail but I think this is a good start.  More than likely Wes or Vince will come around to this post and share their thoughts as well.  They work for Allegorithmic and have been very helpful to me in the past.  I highly suggest that tutorial.  It goes into more detail of what I spoke of here.  I hope this is helpful and I'll try to keep tabs on it when you post your reply.

Thank you for the pictures and explanations. They helped a lot. I used these methods to make some clumps and they look pretty good with multiple variations of the clump height information across multiple splatters. However, I am having trouble getting it to really look like clumped up balls of dirt, they look more like dirt piles/tiny hills. I've been watching through Olguin's tutorials and trying to get an idea, but I still cant find a way to make it really look like clumped balls of dirt as opposed to random dirt piles. Regardless of this, your screenshots and explanations helped a lot and I thank you.

Your welcome.  Glad I could help.  There's a part in his tutorial where he creates pebbles for his material.  If you can find that, follow through with it and use that as a base.  And just modify it to your liking it, use the splatter node two or three times with one variation using small objects, another medium, and the other large.  Blend it together and play with it.  Add nodes, change nodes out for something else, and eventually, you'll get it.  To some extent you should have a base soil underneath and just overlay the splatter nodes over the top.  I learned a lot about natural materials going through his tutorial.  So, go through it entirely and come back to yours when you finish.  It'll help out.