Author Topic: Substance Designer 5.4.0 crash on startup - Windows 10  (Read 3416 times)

Hello all;

Substance designer crashes instantly on startup (with no error / crash dump at all) on my brand new Windows build.  I've been reading some threads about this - some specific to Alienware machines, and some connected to the Dec 31 - Jan 1st 2016 date changeover, but nothing that seems to apply to my case:

Windows 10 (clean install)
Nvidia GTX 1080 (with latest drivers)
Substance Designer 5.4.0

Any ideas what to check?

Substance Designer 5.4
Windows 10 Latest Updates.

On run, dialog pops, "substance_designer.exe - Bad image" is the title.

Body is this below.

I am too seeing startup crash issue. But I get a dialog. It goes on about vcomp120.dll for substance designer 5.4. Suggestions are try to install again, or is not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.

Error Status 0xc000012f

I am having exactly the same issue with Designer 5.3.2.  Tried to launch it today.  Been running fine on Windows 10 but today get the usual: "Substance Designer has stopped working".

That is as far as I get.  Funnily enough I still have a different licence for Substance Designer 4 on the same machine and it still launches without issue.

Anyone from Allegorithmic shed some light as I have looked all through your core website and I cannot find a contact page for people to get in touch about anything never mind bugs and crashes.

Alan M

Wow!!!

I fixed it.  Installed the latest Nvidia drivers which did absolutely nothing.

So I ran Substance Designer in compatibility mode.  Or actually what I did was launch compatibility mode and then ask it to test Substance Designer for compatibility and it launched the program without issue.

Hmm.  Hope this helps other windows users.

Alan M

Alan M

I had the same issue, and after a few stubborn hours of not allowing a machine to outsmart me, I was finally able to get Substance Designer 5,4 to open and work flawlessly in Windows 10. I eventually read two posts that shed enough light on the problem to make sense. I applied both fixes before restating my machine and giving SD a try, so I don't know which fix did the trick or it it was a combination of the two, but as they're both somewhat related, it's not going to hurt if you end up running both. I would attempt the fixes in the following order:

Go here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784 and download and run the program that corresponds to your Windows 10 build. It'll restart your system when it's done, but if not, go ahead and restart. When you're rebooted, run SD 5.4 as an administrator, and hopefully you can get back to work. If not...

...go here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833#bookmark-use%20the%20system%20file%20checker%20tool and follow the directions. Besides scanning for corrupted files, it repairs them as well, so when it's finished, you should hopefully be up and running.

The only other changes that I made to my system that may have helped that you cab try if you're still at a loss, is download and install the latest graphic drivers for your video card(s). If you have the option for a clean install, make sure you check that (It's under Custom Installation). Go back a version of the driver if that didn't help.

And the other thing I did was run a registry cleaning tool. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK IF YOU UNDERSTAND HOW TO MESS WITH THE REGISTRY. MAKE A BACKUP FIRST, AT LEAST.
http://www.wisecleaner.com/wise-registry-cleaner.html
I didn't have to pay for any upgrades, and I don't own the software. I just did a quick scan under the trial installation, and then I cleaned the files that it recommended once the scan was finished.

I've just tried all of those things in order, and still no luck. :o

(Apart from messing around in the registry, which I don't really want to touch)

Compatibility mode doesn't do anything, either.

Awesome you guys have got it working - looks like it's an eclectic mix of errors, and I haven't got to the bottom of mine yet.