Author Topic: Normal Map in C4D  (Read 5300 times)

I am having trouble with a normal map generated in SD for use in Vray for C4D.  I have to "bump" up the bump value to an unreasonably high number for it to even show in the render.  Does C4D use the MIKKTSPACE?  Is there a formula to get the same intensity in both apps?  Thanks.

I am having trouble with a normal map generated in SD for use in Vray for C4D.  I have to "bump" up the bump value to an unreasonably high number for it to even show in the render.  Does C4D use the MIKKTSPACE?  Is there a formula to get the same intensity in both apps?  Thanks.

Hi,

Are you using the Normal node in SD to generate normal data? You may need to increase the normal intensity on the node. You can double-click the slider to manually enter a value higher than the slider allows. Can you post some screen shots of the differences you see? I'm not sure if C4D uses mikktspace.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes.  I'm not getting email notifications.  Sorry for the delay in responding.  I can't really provide a screen shot as the environment in Vray is much different.  I do know that what has an intensity of .1 in SD needs to be increased to 1 or greater in Vray for C4D to achieve the same result.  Is there no way to determine the intensity outside of SD?  I am not using the plug-in in C4D.  All textures have been exported as bitmaps.  I have searched online as to whether C4D uses mikktspace - nothing.  Could you ask one of the developers for me?  Certainly they should know as they designed the substance plug-in.

It would be really nice to get a response to this post as the normal maps I export are of no use to me in Vray for C4D.  Should I contact Allegorithmic via email?

It would be really nice to get a response to this post as the normal maps I export are of no use to me in Vray for C4D.  Should I contact Allegorithmic via email?

Hi,

I'm sorry for the late response. The tangent basis (mikkt) wouldn't have an affect on the normal map intensity. Using Vray for Maya results in the same intensity as Designer and it's using a different tangent basis. I haven't seen an intensity difference in other programs as well. Does C4D have a way to tell the material that you are using a tangent space normal? In Maya, you use a bump2D node and set it to tangent space normal. Same with Vray in Maya. I assume it would be the same in C4D.

We didn't create the C4D plugin actually. This was handled by Maxon in this case.

Cheers,
wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Wes - I'm not getting any response at the Vray for C4D forum either.  I have found that if I invert the red and green channels in photoshop, the bump at least goes in the right direction.  It may be that the height value is built into the normal map and the intensity slider in Vray should be set to 1.  I am getting fairly decent results using this value.

Wes - I'm not getting any response at the Vray for C4D forum either.  I have found that if I invert the red and green channels in photoshop, the bump at least goes in the right direction.  It may be that the height value is built into the normal map and the intensity slider in Vray should be set to 1.  I am getting fairly decent results using this value.

Hi,

I have asked our devs to take a look at this as well. I'm honestly not sure. It must be something with how C4D handles normals. If you invert the green channel, this will basically convert from directx orientation to opengl. I'm not sure about inverting the red channel. Do you know which orientation C4d uses? i.e. directx or ogl. Substance Designer uses directx. If C4D uses ogl than the normals will appear to be inverted.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Substance Designer uses directx
Let me rephrase that more precisely : Substance Designer uses by default the DirectX normal orientation convention. You can change that behavior in the normal node parameters and in all the bakers which compute normals.