Author Topic: External Rendering Workflows  (Read 38277 times)

Here you can find information about how to setup common renderers using textures exported from Substance Painter.

V-Ray

Arnold

Mental Ray

MODO

Keyshot

Toolbag 2
Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:32:37 pm
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hey everyone, just wondering how to get substance painter maps to work in Houdini, tried a number of different ways eg. Principle shader and mantra shader. Can't seem to find info on the subject, keeps directing me to substance plugin but I'm not using designer. Also the render results are less then equal to substance view port.
Please help
Cheers
Brendan

Hey everyone, just wondering how to get substance painter maps to work in Houdini, tried a number of different ways eg. Principle shader and mantra shader. Can't seem to find info on the subject, keeps directing me to substance plugin but I'm not using designer. Also the render results are less then equal to substance view port.
Please help
Cheers
Brendan

Hi Brendan,

I'm not very familiar with Houdini Surface Material. However, taking a look I think you can use the metallic/roughness workflow. Be sure to set the specular to GGX and I think you can use the metallic and roughness map as input.

Cheers,
Wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi everyone, there is "frostsoft Pixelberg" too, a REALTIME PBR FOR C4D
http://frostsoft.blogspot.co.uk/p/fssoftware.html

Eric

I'm also having issues w/ Houdini's GGX Surface model matching up w/ Substance's export. At first I thought it had to do w/ linear worklow problems, but that didn't make sense, since all my maps looked correct. I wonder if every other 3D renderer is having this same issue and how people solved it.

Here's what I believe is the problem, Substance Painter does not provide an accurate representation of what you'll see in a mantra render. In Substance Painter as a test, see what happens when you set DIFFUSE to 0. You get black. If you set it to 1, you get white. Fine. But what happens if you do the same thing w/ a Roughness of 0? It is completely incorrect.

Why would a diffuse of 1 and a roughness of 0 look like a mirror? Shouldn't a diffuse of 0 look like a mirror and a diffuse of 1 look like white car paint? (assuming fresnel is working properly).

Think about it, when you add diffuse, you're going away from a mirror reflection. So why in substance painter is it actually making it look more chrome when you add diffuse? See images below for SP vs Houdini renders. I think this is why roughness is not matching up. Because in SP everything looks great, but as soon as you export to Houdini it falls apart.

It is possible that linear maps have something to do w/ this, since in houdini my roughness maps look SUPER reflective even though in Substance Painter they look rough, almost like the sliders aren't matching values 1 to 1.

If you don't know linear workflow here's a beginner's guide: http://www.pixsim.co.uk/downloads/The_Beginners_Explanation_of_Gamma_Correction_and_Linear_Workflow.pdf

Please help
Cheers
Brendan

Do you have info for Lightwave
trying to set up for lightwave render engine
Thanks

Hi Wes,

I have a few questions regarding colour management workflow from Painter to Maya.  The link you have posted is outdated in regards to maya 2017 since it is still using gamma correction nodes instead of Maya's own cm system.  That said, I understand that it is still valid as the  math should technically be the same whichever way one decides to implement it.

I'm trying to come up with a single solution/workflow that I can always count on and train with.

I want to maintain accurate colours from painter to Maya.  I am able to achieve this using the stingray pbs shader which works beautifully...but unable to make things match using arnold...barely even close.

When setting up a painter scene file,  should I set my base colour to RGB16f or RGB32F if I'm planning on rendering in Arnold with exr textures?

If I do this, would I then set my textures to "Raw" format in maya's cm ?  This makes sense to me.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Can we have a arnold alShaders workflow please?

Hello.I have a question about alshader for maya rendering substance painter.
I found a problem, the use of substance painter export of the map in the alshader for maya rendering can not restore. I tried a lot of methods have failed, how can I restore subtance painter rendering results.
If you can receive and see my problem, I hope you can help me, thank you very much. :'(

Hello, is Blender coming also ?
cheers L

whats about Blender Cycles ?
cheers Horst

Would love to see alshader workflow. Can't figure it out.

Hi there,
As for the alSurface shader workflow, try this:

Think of it as a boosted aiStandard shader.
You don't have to use all its features.

- Diffuse -> Diffuse Color
- Specular -> Specular 1 Color
- Rougness -> Specular 1 Roughness
- Set the Fresnel Mode to Metallic
- f0 -> Reflectivity
- Edge tint = White
- Specular 1 Advanced settings: Distribution = ggx

Cheers, D
I'm an Environment Artist and R&D Generalist at Digic Pictures

In Substance Painter 2.5 update, it says:
..."Preset export for V-Ray, Octane, Corona and Arnold"...

Wheres is OCTANE export preset?
thanks!

In Substance Painter 2.5 update, it says:
..."Preset export for V-Ray, Octane, Corona and Arnold"...

Wheres is OCTANE export preset?
thanks!
Can you tell me where you read that ? Because it's incorrect.
There is no export preset, you simply have to use the regular Metal/Rough textures from Substance Painter and load them into the Substance preset available in the public Octane library.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.