Author Topic: Height map baker  (Read 6789 times)

Also chiming in with a need for height map baking.  With 2018.2 baking so fast now, my life would be complete if Painter could handle all my texturing needs!  It would also be nice if you could specify a separate file format per texture on export. Mainly i'd always want my height maps exported as .exr while the rest at what ever (tif, bmp, etc...)

Another vote for height map baking here, we would use it all the time for game environments.

I see this thread is still active so I'll throw in my request for a height map baker as well.
Aside from the previously mentioned uses, the height map is also extremely useful for generating hand painted style textures as you can use it to easily tint your shadows and highlights in different tones, while using the channels of your normal map to tint the light direction separately.
Current solution is to either bake the height in xnormal or use the PS plugin to convert the normal to a cavity, which is pretty hacky.

Please consider including it as an option!

reminder: there is a uservoice idea for adding a height map baker to SPainter

https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/261284-substance-painter/suggestions/14949438-height-map-baker

cast your vote :)

Designer has a height baker but it works wonky for me. It always bakes low poly information which should be baked. Anyone has the same issue?

Also would love to see height map included in the Painter baker. Height map is really important for texturing game assets.
Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:48:26 pm

It is normal to see the low poly on a baked height map since the distance from your low poly to your high poly is lower on the edges than inthe middle of polygons. It doesn't look good by itself, but once applied on a mesh it will give you the right result.

Any news on this? I see that Staff has seen this thread but so far, no official reply.

It got to the point where it is a bit ridiculous just to have to launch substance designer, setup a new project with correct export paths, naming conventions and all, import my composite RGB texture, bake a heightmap and append the result to one of my RGB texture's channel and export again. It's taking me FOREVER.

This could ALL be done like in a single click in painter -_- I don't care if the heightmap itself has no use inside painter itself, I just want to bake it and export it with the rest of my maps.

At this point I can only believe you're doing that to give us a reason to buy designer as well. Just add the feature to painter already darn it. It's not like you don't have the code already...

Any news on this? I see that Staff has seen this thread but so far, no official reply.

It got to the point where it is a bit ridiculous just to have to launch substance designer, setup a new project with correct export paths, naming conventions and all, import my composite RGB texture, bake a heightmap and append the result to one of my RGB texture's channel and export again. It's taking me FOREVER.

This could ALL be done like in a single click in painter -_- I don't care if the heightmap itself has no use inside painter itself, I just want to bake it and export it with the rest of my maps.

At this point I can only believe you're doing that to give us a reason to buy designer as well. Just add the feature to painter already darn it. It's not like you don't have the code already...

your critique sounds a bit harsh, but I have to admit, my workflow is the same as yours.

not sure why such an obvious "thing" doesn´t have more than 33 uservoices (https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/261284-substance-painter/suggestions/14949438-height-map-baker)

do other people have the same problem like me, who ran out of uservoices and suggestions so quickly, that I kind of lost interest in the uservoice platform?

your critique sounds a bit harsh, but I have to admit, my workflow is the same as yours.

A harsh critique is in order. The fact that this issue has gone unresolved for *years* despite dozens of example use case scenarios from industry artists providing plenty of context is bizarre.

I was just dealing with an asset that I wanted to channel pack a heightmap for use with a POM shader in Unreal. Because they don't want to provide this rudimentary baking option, I had to maintain a duplicate baking scene in Max where I had control over my heightmaps, bake that, and then import and maintain that bake in Painter so I could pack it together for a clean export. I had to shift the UVs a couple times, which would normally not be an issue with their otherwise great baking options in Painter, but because of this lack of heightmap support, it meant going through this pipeline clusterf*** several more times.

All because for the last 2 years they couldn't think of any "use cases" for this obvious feature. Give me a break.

+1 to heightmap/displacement baking inside SubstancePainter.

+1

Recently purchased the Substance bundle and I am disappointed that baking displacement / height maps isn't a thing in Painter.

As for usage scenarios, I will be using displacement maps in conjunction with normal maps to create fabric details like seams and stitches on relatively low poly meshes that are being used in dynamic cloth simulations. Using highly detailed poly models (especially ones that contain stitches) will wreck the mesh and create unwanted artifacts when simulated.

Please add this option to Painter as people could really benefit from this feature.

*Adding my name to the height map petition

I moved from video games to an animation studio and now that I need to bake displacement maps I'm amazed to see that Painter still can't do that ! Is this EVER going to be coded ? It's kind of a basic necessity no ? It's a pain having to move to another software just for that. It's not ultra necessary for game development, though AAA games are going to need displacement maps more and more. But for pre-calculated 3D (movies, TV series, etc.) it's ultra necessary...
Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:44:06 pm