Author Topic: Substance Painter. Not working  (Read 3051 times)

Well I used to be able to use this program. Not sure which update screwed it up, but many of the features are no longer working for me.

Baking maps creates only completely black maps now.

In addition I can't PAINT!! anything. Which is kind of a big deal for a texture "painting" program. 

I am using a 2013 Mac Pro running OS 10.11.5
Note: I also downloaded the windows version and clean installed it on Bootcamp (windows 8.1) and getting the same issues.

I also tried downloading 2.0.5 (the only previous version currently available) and having the same issues. So not sure how long it's been a problem for.

Possibly a Graphics card problem?
AMD FirePro D500 is a pretty standard card for the Mac Pro.

Video of the issues:
https://youtu.be/CPNRBnMsSm8

FirePro GPUs are unsupported, therefore we can't guarantee the good behavior of the software with them. Bugs and instabilities are expected.
(See : https://www.allegorithmic.com/products/tech-specs )
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

How can you be claiming to be selling a Mac version of a software that is incompatible with the graphics card that comes in the hardware? That's pretty messed up. 

There are many Mac computers that don't run on a FirePro GPU. The last generation was even running on NVIDIA GPUs.
As for why we don't support FirePro GPUs at the moment, it's because we had difficulties in the past adding support for them. For the moment we didn't had the chance to improve that point.
Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 07:18:30 pm
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I have sent a contact form requesting a refund for my upgrade to Substance Painter 2 of $99. Yes. more recent, less powerful systems have different cards. But at no point did I consider that the most powerful Macs, and still currently the top of the line Macs, would not meet the system requirements because of the FirePro graphics cards. That's ridiculous. I don't look at system requirements expecting that I'll have to downgrade my system to accommodate a supposedly "upgraded" version of a software. 

You can disregard the request for refund. It does not appear to be a graphic card issue. When I open up the sample project I can paint fine. I've tried several different models after that and it seems to be OK. I haven't tried baking yet, but the painting is fine. Not too worried about the baking, I have other apps that do that.

Must be some issue with that particular model I'll need to look at. It's weird I can use a fill layer and fill with material, just can't paint on it.