Author Topic: Help with baking maps with overlapping UVs  (Read 2792 times)

I have a character which has two materials applied; one for the head and the other for the body in Maya/Unity. They both have separate UV maps which overlap when I select the entire character.  The problem I have is when I try to bake maps from Substance Designer, it combines both UVs/bakes into one. What I'd like to do is bake the head and body separately. What's the best way to go about doing this?  Maybe I have to setup my characters UVs differently in Maya?

Thanks!

Hi, when baking information, you have the possibility to enable/disable parts of your object using the checkbox on the left side (screenshot attached).
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

hmmm - will this not work automatically, when having 2 (different) Materials = this should result in 2 texture sets, anyways?!

Cheers

hmmm - will this not work automatically, when having 2 (different) Materials = this should result in 2 texture sets, anyways?!

Cheers

The object is only one mesh, not two pieces (head/body). I also figured out how to create unique UV sets in Maya in which I can export the normals from there, but when I export the mesh to bring into Substance Designer, choosing those UV sets don't seem to work in the Bake Model Information window.  I get the 3 UV Set drop-down, but those don't seem to correlate to my UV sets from Maya.

Cheers

From what you mentioned I gather you mean setting up two different materials within a 3D program such as Maya first, correct? Then exporting it to Substance Designer?  Typically I have one UV set with all the UVs overlapping, and the materials are assigned to the polygons, thus the materials are allied correctly.  But I don't know how to bake my maps within Substance.

You don't need to split the mesh (in my example, even if I have 2 planes, it's only 1 mesh).
Here is another example with a basic cylinder with 2 materials applied.
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

You don't need to split the mesh (in my example, even if I have 2 planes, it's only 1 mesh).
Here is another example with a basic cylinder with 2 materials applied.

I didn't import my model with my materials applied, so that worked. Thanks!