Author Topic: Is There Any Way To Bypass or Disable a Node?  (Read 1289 times)

Hi,

Is there any way to bypass or disable a node temporarily? I often want to toggle the result of a node (or multiple nodes) to see what my graph is doing or track down bugs.

Some other node based interfaces offer the ability to bypass or disable nodes and that's really useful for debugging or trying things out without deleting nodes of re-wiring part of the graph. Can we do the same in Designer? I can't find any mention in the docs.

Thanks.

Sorry, this was meant to be in the Designer forum. I keep opening the wrong one. Could it be moved please?
Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:20:41 pm

Can we do the same in Designer?
Not at the moment. It's a feature that's often requested, but which is more difficult to properly define than it seems at first because nodes don't necessarily have the same number of inputs and outputs, and they can be of different nature (color, size, bit-depth). How should we switch off blend nodes, or grayscale conversion nodes, or material blend nodes ?
It's not impossible to do. It's more a product design difficulty than a programming issue. 

What you can do is to use the "Switch" filter (or "Switch Grayscale") of the library, and connect the two paths of your graph you need to "compare".
You'll have the possibility to switch from an input to another using the button of the filter.
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

Thanks Cyrille. Yeah I can see the potential problems.

Gaetan, yes that sounds like a good solution, I'll try that.

Thanks.

As there is still no update, is there any niews ?

Maybe this should be nice to allow only "straight" (those with only one input and one output) nodes in a first place ? (levels, gradient, etc)

bump!

This is also discussed here :
https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=9942

In short : nothing new. It is difficult to find a way to make it practical/useful for anything but a very limited class of nodes (the ones with just one input and one output, or exactly matching inputs and outputs).