Author Topic: can't export 8k  (Read 20406 times)

I studied the log file myself, and found
[WARN] <Engine Configuration> Export resolution clamped to 4k. More than 2GB of VRAM are required to allows 8k export (1475MB detected).

My processors RAM is 12 GB, while the GeForce GTX 760 has 1.5 GB. Can this be the reason, Substance Painter accidentally checks my GeForce RAM where it should check the processor's RAM? Or did you increase the threshhold in the graphic cards RAM for clamping from 1.5 to 2 GB from Substance Painter v 2.1.0 to 2.1.1 ?
Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 10:17:41 am

oh yeah, there it is in my Log:

[Engine Configuration] Export Resolution clamped to 4k. More than 2GB of VRAM are required to allows 8K Export (1999MB detected).
[GPUIssuesCheck] The current TDR (GPU hang recovery) delay is low: 5s
Substance Painter can be interrupted by the OS when doing a Long computation.
See https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/GPU+drivers+crash+with+long+computations

so now I should buy a new card ? :)

From your log file I see that your GPU only has 1.5GB of Vram. We only support 8K export when the GPU has at least 2GB of VRam. This is also the minimum required in our system requirements : https://www.allegorithmic.com/products/tech-specs
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

interesting, I have 2GB RAM and no 8K export :)

Quadro 4000 2GB RAM

--> More than 2GB of VRAM are required to allows 8K Export (1999MB detected).
Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 04:15:43 pm

interesting, I have 2GB RAM and no 8K export :)

Well not exactly, as you mentioned your log file mention 1999MB, not 2GB (which is 2048MB).
I can discuss to see if we could give a threshold to be a bit more flexible, however your GPU should have a different amount of VRam. Maybe try to install different drivers ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Okay, I will try install different drivers.
if would be good to have a bit more flexible :)

I do not know why Painter indicates 1999 MB GDDR5
my driver 368.39 shows me: 2048 MB GDDR5

but I will try another driver.

Thank you, Froyok.
I'm just confused because the 8k option showed up without hesitation in the former version 2.1.0. So does this mean, you increased the threshold in version 2.1.1.?

Thank you, Froyok.
I'm just confused because the 8k option showed up without hesitation in the former version 2.1.0. So does this mean, you increased the threshold in version 2.1.1.?
The previous version was broken and wasn't detecting hardware properly. This is now fixed in 2.1.1.
Can you also attach a dxdiag ? https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Exporting+a+DXDiag
-----------

no chance

I have tried the following drivers

- 341.95 Quadro
- 361.91 Quadro
- 362.13 Quadro
- 362.56 Quadro
- 368.39 Quadro

still the same, no 8K Export.
Export Resolution clamped to 4k. More than 2GB of VRAM are required to allows 8K Export (1999MB detected).

:-\

Thank you, Froyok.
The previous version was broken and wasn't detecting hardware properly. This is now fixed in 2.1.1.
Can you also attach a dxdiag ? https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Exporting+a+DXDiag

Thank you very much Froyok. The thing is, I'm actually confused over my VRAM. I never paid much attention to this value, but in my opinion the value of 1.5 GB sounds funny. I assumed I should have 4 GB, but I'm not sure and I can't find any documentation for my computer so far, I purchased it in May 2014. Even the GPU Meter Gadget I'm using shows 1.5 GB, but this value sounds unfamiliar to me. The DxDiag shows 4 GB, if I understand it right...? Is it possible that some memory bank broke on my GeForce card?
I'd really appreciate some advice, if you can figure out what the problem is?
Charlie

no chance

I have tried the following drivers

- 341.95 Quadro
- 361.91 Quadro
- 362.13 Quadro
- 362.56 Quadro
- 368.39 Quadro

still the same, no 8K Export.
Export Resolution clamped to 4k. More than 2GB of VRAM are required to allows 8K Export (1999MB detected).

:-\

Same as the other persons, could you attach a dxdiag ? See : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Exporting+a+DXDiag

Thank you, Froyok.

Thank you very much Froyok. The thing is, I'm actually confused over my VRAM. I never paid much attention to this value, but in my opinion the value of 1.5 GB sounds funny. I assumed I should have 4 GB, but I'm not sure and I can't find any documentation for my computer so far, I purchased it in May 2014. Even the GPU Meter Gadget I'm using shows 1.5 GB, but this value sounds unfamiliar to me. The DxDiag shows 4 GB, if I understand it right...? Is it possible that some memory bank broke on my GeForce card?
I'd really appreciate some advice, if you can figure out what the problem is?
Charlie
The dxdiag show the following mentions :
- Display Memory: 4035 MB
- Dedicated Memory: 1475 MB
- Shared Memory: 2560 MB
What matter here is the dedicated memory, which is the memory present on the GPU itself, the rest are a combination of this memory and some Ram allocated by the system. So unfortunately you don't have enough Vram to run the 8K export.
-----------

I discussed with a developper on that matter and I need to clarify something :
As the warning mention in the log, you need MORE than 2Gb of Vram to be able to access the 8K export. 2048MB of Vram is not enough, you need 2.5GB or 3.0GB minimum. I'm sorry for the confusion.
-----------

okay, thank you for your help.
it seems I have to buy a new graphics card  :)

now another question
I want to buy this card: GeForce GTX 1080, 8 GB RAM

a) will this graphic card supports by Substance Painter or Designer ?

b) and if I buy the same 2 graphic cards, multiple graphic cards are supported ?
Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 09:16:25 pm

A 1080 will work great, but Painter and Designer will not take advantage of multiple GPUs.