Author Topic: Alpha Channel PNG  (Read 15605 times)

Ok, I found a few minutes to test a bit more:

I checked, if my diffuse "cliff-image" has an alpha, which is not the case
(see cliff_no_alpha_gimp) Gimp clearly shows just 3 channels, R G B.

Then I try to save this image as BMP file - when open in B2M I got an error
(see B2M_BMP_open_error) It seems, this error occures, when you try to open a bmp, which has got a "color-space-information" in it, When saving a bmp without this information, B2M opens it correct (and displays no alpha)

Which is not the case, when open the Cliff-image.png (which also got no alpha, like I stated before) (see B2M_has_alpha)

On export, when saving as jpg, the alpha is gone, that´s correct - but I want to save as PNG, because of better quality (lossless)...
Saving as BMP for a work-around maybe is an option here.

Thanks for creating a SD node to remove any unwanted alpha from a normal map, but to be honest - I´d like B2M to

1. Do not add alpha information, when open a png file
2. Do not put any height/displace or whatnot information into my normal maps

Just like before the actual version or like in the trial version - this worked perfect!

Cheers!

Ok, I found a few minutes to test a bit more:

I checked, if my diffuse "cliff-image" has an alpha, which is not the case
(see cliff_no_alpha_gimp) Gimp clearly shows just 3 channels, R G B.

Then I try to save this image as BMP file - when open in B2M I got an error
(see B2M_BMP_open_error) It seems, this error occures, when you try to open a bmp, which has got a "color-space-information" in it, When saving a bmp without this information, B2M opens it correct (and displays no alpha)

Which is not the case, when open the Cliff-image.png (which also got no alpha, like I stated before) (see B2M_has_alpha)

On export, when saving as jpg, the alpha is gone, that´s correct - but I want to save as PNG, because of better quality (lossless)...
Saving as BMP for a work-around maybe is an option here.

Thanks for creating a SD node to remove any unwanted alpha from a normal map, but to be honest - I´d like B2M to

1. Do not add alpha information, when open a png file
2. Do not put any height/displace or whatnot information into my normal maps

Just like before the actual version or like in the trial version - this worked perfect!

Cheers!

Yes, you're right. It needs to work in B2M. I forgot to mention the devs are saying it would be best to add switch for removing alpha. This will be updated in B2M.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Ahhh, ok - so it will be kind of fixed with an update - that´s a good thing :)

for the next update - maybe you could ponit the devs here?

http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,1064.0.html

Have a good one