Author Topic: Hide seams  (Read 19225 times)

Hi guys,

I've got this great (I think, lol) texture I've been working on and I'm fairly happy with the result. The problem is that there are visible seams from the separate UV islands. Is there some way to fix this in SD4 or is that something I would do in photoshop after I'm done with making the texture in SD4?

Edit: I could probably use Substance Painter but I haven't used it yet and can't take the time to learn it right now.
Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:38:50 am

Hi guys,

I've got this great (I think, lol) texture I've been working on and I'm fairly happy with the result. The problem is that there are visible seams from the separate UV islands. Is there some way to fix this in SD4 or is that something I would do in photoshop after I'm done with making the texture in SD4?

Edit: I could probably use Substance Painter but I haven't used it yet and can't take the time to learn it right now.

Hi Dave,

You can do this in Substance Designer. Here is a graph I made to pad a diffuse texture to remove seams. Give this a try and see it helps. If your diffuse texture has alpha, you can just feed it into input 1. If you texture doesn't have alpha, you'll need to make a mask and feed that into input 2 and click the use mask button. The mask indicates the texture of the UV shells.

Cheers,

Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks for the reply Wes. I think I may be doing something wrong. The graph you provided should be blending between seams correct?

To test, I baked out a UV to SVG map with 0 padding with Hueshift (diffuse) and Grayscale (mask) then created the graph. I played with the settings and haven't been able to create a satisfying result. Please see the screenshot.

Thanks for the reply Wes. I think I may be doing something wrong. The graph you provided should be blending between seams correct?

To test, I baked out a UV to SVG map with 0 padding with Hueshift (diffuse) and Grayscale (mask) then created the graph. I played with the settings and haven't been able to create a satisfying result. Please see the screenshot.

Hi Dave,

The graph will just extend the color beyond the UVs to eliminate a seam. If the image to pad has alpha, you can just feed it in. However, if it doesn't you need to click the "Use Mask" button and feed it a black/white mask that shows the UV shells.

In the attached image, you can see I am using an image with alpha, but if I was going to use the mask, you can see the image just to the left which is a black/white mask that indicates the UV shells.

Cheers,

Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

This may not be the best solution for my substance. I've created a tiled texture and applied it to a mesh and would like to blend the seams together. Typically I'd do this with a stamp brush in photoshop for example. Is there a similar solution?

This may not be the best solution for my substance. I've created a tiled texture and applied it to a mesh and would like to blend the seams together. Typically I'd do this with a stamp brush in photoshop for example. Is there a similar solution?

There is a clone stamp on the bitmap painting tool. You could use the bitmap clone stamp to paint out seams and a blend node to combine the two.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

But you have 0 padding, what did you expect?
You see seams in this particular case because one color is trying to blend with another one and this process is using pixels near uv edges, which, in your case - black.

Thanks Wes, I'll give that a try. This may be a good opportunity to open up SP as well :)

zeOrb, as I said in the comment I'd spent some time playing with the settings. I baked out multiple maps with varying amounts of padding to no avail. I may have been doing something wrong though and will be experimenting with it to see if I can get any better results.

I was thinking about ways to solve this earlier today... I've grown a little obsessed with using SD4, can't get over how fast it is.

Anyway, how do you hide the seams? The alien in the above image had very noticeable wrinkles and what not on him but they weren't visible on the actual model. Was the texture created in SD4 or something else? If I have a character with a large spot (or wrinkles/stripes/etc.) on it, and it goes right over a seam, how do I line them up and hide that seam?   

I was thinking about ways to solve this earlier today... I've grown a little obsessed with using SD4, can't get over how fast it is.

Anyway, how do you hide the seams? The alien in the above image had very noticeable wrinkles and what not on him but they weren't visible on the actual model. Was the texture created in SD4 or something else? If I have a character with a large spot (or wrinkles/stripes/etc.) on it, and it goes right over a seam, how do I line them up and hide that seam?
Share your sample models and substances with problems. It will be much easier to help you!

hey Wes, thanks for sharing the substance, but is there any chance you can share the sbs as opposed to sbsar?

cheers

hey Wes, thanks for sharing the substance, but is there any chance you can share the sbs as opposed to sbsar?

cheers

Hi,

Sure thing. Here is the SBS.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hey all.

The graph Wes submitted worked only if the input texture (the one to pad) had alpha in it - without it, the blend copy nodes were just clipping the textures, giving same result in the end as input texture.

I included fixed (I hope) version in case somebody still needs it.

Original graph also can be used, but it needs to be feeded texture with B/W alpha mask encoded. And it won't work if the mask isn't strictly B/W - no grayscale, just plain 0's and 1's.
Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:22:53 pm

Hey all.

The graph Wes submitted worked only if the input texture (the one to pad) had alpha in it - without it, the blend copy nodes were just clipping the textures, giving same result in the end as input texture.

I included fixed (I hope) version in case somebody still needs it.

Original graph also can be used, but it needs to be feeded texture with B/W alpha mask encoded. And it won't work if the mask isn't strictly B/W - no grayscale, just plain 0's and 1's.

Hi Tomasz,

Thanks for fixing the graph :)

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi guys,

I've used your version of seams padding and it wasn't entirely satisfying for me.
So I've created a different method. I've recorded and overview on youtube (provided link to the graph there in description)

I'm happy to hear to any suggestions on that.
It would be much better though if Allegorithmic could  introduce shrink mask selection feature :) I've explained drawbacks of my method in the tutorial.
Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:59:04 am