Author Topic: More Brush Types  (Read 2617 times)

Hi,

I`m new to Substance Painter, so please forgive me if this has been requested before or I am missing something.

Its shaping up to be a really nice app, and one I was looking at to possibly replace 3DCoat for my texture painting, but I feel at the moment its missing some fundamental tools.

A series of different brush types would be really useful, like a blur brush or burn and dodge like in Photoshop. Also maybe a clone type brush too..

Also, can you import a premade texture and edit it directly? Maybe even edit a normal map too?

I was hoping to bring Substance Painter onto a new project I am working on, but unfortunately without these basic tools it looks like it will be back to 3DCoat.
Antony Ward
Director @ antCGi Ltd.

Hi Antony,

from what I´ve found out, you can create a "Fill layer" (the little B+ - Icon, afair) and then "fill" this with your existing textures.

Notice, there are some hatched areas, there you can put textures, for example.

So, first import a texture (it will show up in the "self"), then add a "Fill Layer", then assing your imported texture to it.

Hope that helps?!
(Sorry, I got no access to SP at the moment, so the steps come from my mind, tried that on release day of beta)

edit: Oh, and for brush types... it should be possible, to import some "alpha brushes", or am I wrong?

Or do you mean "physical brushes?"

Cheers!
Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:33:39 am

A series of different brush types would be really useful, like a blur brush or burn and dodge like in Photoshop. Also maybe a clone type brush too..

Those tools are on the roadmap, they will arrive in the next weeks/months.

Cheers,
Head of Product Management

May I also chime in with a Drag Rectangle type brush.  The same kind you can find in ZBrush.  This would be great for decals. (and a bunch of other things too)  :)