Author Topic: Help, I am new :(  (Read 2221 times)

Hi guys,

I am new to the forums and also to Substance Designer. I have bought Substance Designer 4 on Steam and also bought Substance Painter. I am struggle to use Substance Designer 4 though and I don't quite understand what I am doing in the application. I have seen the power it has and really want to learn how to use it properly.

Is there any good links I can check out or video tutorials I can watch to learn the program, there is a lot of terminology I don't understand as well.

Hi!

You should probably start with this series of video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0wXHrWAmCwLRTzdb-RxadGk_xBBQKar

Thanks for the quick reply. I will definitely start there. I struggle to understand how you can texture an object with the nodes and how the texture is then applied. Do you bring your UV Maps into Substance Designer 4 and use the nodes to make your texture on your UV maps? I've seen in the showcase thread that people have textured a complete object using just Substances.

Do they use a separate program to apply the Substances to their models? I work in the Leadwerks Game Engine, there is no support for Substances in there as far as I am aware (unlike Unity and Unreal.)

I am just confused at how you get your Substances onto your objects, I can't even get any of my objects to show in the 3D Viewport in Substance Designer 4.

Thanks in advance for all the help, I don't want to nag to much but I really want to understand and learn this program as I have seen what is capable of and that was the main selling point for me :) 

Thanks for the quick reply. I will definitely start there. I struggle to understand how you can texture an object with the nodes and how the texture is then applied. Do you bring your UV Maps into Substance Designer 4 and use the nodes to make your texture on your UV maps? I've seen in the showcase thread that people have textured a complete object using just Substances.

Do they use a separate program to apply the Substances to their models? I work in the Leadwerks Game Engine, there is no support for Substances in there as far as I am aware (unlike Unity and Unreal.)

I am just confused at how you get your Substances onto your objects, I can't even get any of my objects to show in the 3D Viewport in Substance Designer 4.

Thanks in advance for all the help, I don't want to nag to much but I really want to understand and learn this program as I have seen what is capable of and that was the main selling point for me :)

Hello,

First, let me say, welcome to Substance!

Definitely check out the Substance Designer 4 training series. This will answer your questions. You can certainly texture complete objects in Substance Designer. In your case, you can also export all maps to textures so you can use them in your engine.

Think of it like this. A substance is simply as set of textures (diffuse, normal, spec, AO etc.) that define a material. There is no shader code to worry about. In the end, Substance outputs textures as bitmaps. The substance file itself can be loaded into a 3D app or game engine if it's supported. This allows you to dynamically resize and change the textures, however, it's still converted to bitmaps in the game engine or 3D app.

Your mesh will need UVs as we dealing with textures. Substance Designer is used to create your own custom substance files or textures. It's like photoshop, but with more features. The graph node workflow is different, but it's easy to grasp once you start working. It works just like a compositing app, but for building textures.

Check the videos, it covers everything and begins by explaining what a substance is and how it fits in the workflow. If you have any questions, please let me know and I'll be sure to get you on the right path.

Cheers,

Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

The video series Jeremie linked to above covers all your questions.

However I just made an ultra QuickStart clip to show how fast you can texture something with Diffuse, Normal and Specular maps.

EDIT: Sorry Wes, didn't see you had replied whilst I made the clip.
Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:13:40 pm

Wow guys I really appreciate it and can't wait to get started. Thank you so much Wes I most definitely will hold you to your offer haha.

Big thank you for the quick clip amazing work very impressive artzfx!

I feel welcomed already :D

EDIT: Wes these tutorials are great, I've watched the first one and I got the basic idea of what a Substance is now so it makes more sense how they can be used to texture an object. I feel a bit stupid for asking now haha. I am still pretty new to all this, my modelling software is 3D - Coat so I've been using their painting features to texture my models, I just feel Substance is more powerful :D
Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:36:16 am