Author Topic: Feature Request PBR  (Read 3973 times)

hi there,

I am a new user of the allegorithmic product line (SP, SD and B2M indie) and I want to make a feature request/ bring in some ideas, hehehe ;)

This time, regarding B2M desktop-version:

B2M creates so many textures/maps - why not try to add some more?
Maybe it will be possible to add a "metalness", a gloss/roughness map to the existing outputs?

In other words, bringing a bit of "PBR workflow" from SD/(SP) to B2M would be really nice (if possible)

I think, with a bit of user interaction, this should be doable?
Like telling B2M "Yes, this is metal" / "No, it´s not" should make for a metallic map, telling "it is wood" or "rubber" - would make it possible to generate a gloss/roughness map for example.

Maybe some blending option, like we have in SD workflow would be perfect:
(11:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71V6Vi6OpbM)

But I´ll understand, if this may not be practical/possible or conflict with
the productline philosophy.

http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,891.0.html

Anyway, at least you could add some more registers to provide a consistant PBR workflow in all of your products.
So users can import their roughness/gloss or metallic maps, created in other apps.

That should be possible at all as the 3D viewer can already display them!

Best Regards
Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:17:33 am

hmmm, when opening a sbsar file (created with SD 4.1) in B2M 2.2, I get all the Outputs, but can not assign them to the PBR-shader in 3D view?!

Am I missing something?!

/bumping around  a little  ;)

So no words from the devs on this? We will not see PBR support in B2M anytime soon, I guess, as their focus is on SP and SD and B2M is "just other product" right?!

I get the feeling that B2M is seen as a kind of "step-child" in the allegorithmic product-line, which in case is pretty sad, because it is a really great tool already, which needs just a bit more love to worl to its fullest potential...
Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 03:44:40 pm

So no words from the devs on this? We will not see PBR support in B2M anytime soon, I guess, as their focus is on SP and SD and B2M is "just other product" right?!

I get the feeling that B2M is seen as a kind of "step-child" in the allegorithmic product-line, which in case is pretty sad, because it is a really great tool already, which needs just a bit more love to worl to its fullest potential...

Hi Elowan,

I think the issue is that PBR maps would be very tricky to auto-generate from a texture. For instance, a metallic map is either black or white (metal or not). The white areas indicate a surface is metal and in terms of an auto generation setup, this would be particularly difficult without user input. The same goes for the roughness map.

That is why PBR maps are left for Substance Designer and Substance Painter. Roughness and Metal maps need careful consideration and artist input and best not left to auto generation.

With that said, B2M is good for creating the diffuse texture and normal. With the diffuse texture, you can use the Lighting tools to cancel dark shadows which in PBR diffuse maps (Albedo) are not correct. In the diffuse map, you want to make sure you darkest value is above 30 and brightest value doesn't go beyond 240 (0-255 RGB scale). The lighting tools in B2M can help you achieve this and create a correct albedo(diffuse) map and normal map for PBR.

Cheers,

Wes 
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hey Wes,

yes, I can see your point. What I mean was, it would be nice to have something like in SD where you can add metal or gloss/roughness by hand.

B2M has some "slots" for diffuse, normal, bump, etc. Additional ones (if not automatic, there should be a way to add them manually) for a PBR workflow were sweet!

Like another register for metal, where the user can set to black or white, a map for roughness, where the user could set a value for matching mirror, rust, wood or whatever...

But I understand, SD  is the better tool for that, no question.

But at least adding a possibility to load gloss/roughness/metal maps that were made with another app (like SD) into B2M should not be such a problem for the devs...

The 3D view already got PBR shader, so why there are no "slots" for the needed textures (that must not be auto-generated, I agree).

Cheers!

One of the most viewed topics, so I´d like to push it (again)?  ;D

Will we see some "Tabs" to bring in a metal and roughness map = ?

Cheers!