Author Topic: Error loading Substances into Max (2016/2017)  (Read 9591 times)

Bringing a Substance node into the material editor, and choosing something I want to use, but getting:

"Error in Reading Substance file: "[file path].sbsar"

The sample ones in 3ds Max seem okay, but almost any of my own don't seem to work. Praying there's a fix to this since trying to connect 3ds Max and Unreal with Substance very seamlessly.

What's up with the substances?

Sorry about that. The 3DS Max integration is currently not up to date and can't read substances that use features (nodes) that were introduced with SD5. You can check which nodes in your graph are causing problems using the option in Preferences -> Projects -> Compatibility Mode: Substance Engine v4.

Sent a PM to you - basically, I don't really understand your suggestion. Where do I check compatibility? Can I correct nodes not functioning within max from SD5? Can I do it simply?

With this issue existing on (what seem to be) all 3ds Max versions, and SD5 releasing well over a year ago - are there detailed workflows to what you're saying?

Is there an ETA on when this long-standing issue will finally be resolved?

thanks for more clarification

Sent a PM to you
I'll prefer to answer here if you don't mind because the discussion might be interesting to others as well.

Where do I check compatibility? Can I correct nodes not functioning within max from SD5? Can I do it simply?
There is a "Projects" tab in the "Preferences..." panel in the "Tools" menu, with an option named "Compatibility Mode" which is set by default to "Substance Engine v5". If you set it to "Substance Engine v4", the graph view and the menus will highlight (in yellow) all nodes that are not compatible with the engine of Substance 4 (and therefore with the current integration in 3DSMax). It might then be possible to replace the nodes which are not compatible with some that are, but there is no automatic way to do so, nor any guarantee that it is possible to find a perfect replacement. In any case, it will probably not be simple.

Is there an ETA on when this long-standing issue will finally be resolved?
Unfortunately no, we don't have an ETA.

Thank you for more information - You're still not being clear about what tools (the forum is substance integration -> 3ds Max, not specific regarding any Allegorithmic software). Assuming at this point you're talking about Substance Designer?

This is such a long-standing issue and solving it from a user-side is a pain. If in the over-a-year SD5 has been available with no conceivable timeframe (which is a substantial disappointment as a user of SD5 and Max), more comprehensive error read-outs and automation tools would be nice. Just frustrating to not have known when buying it that the integration would have such a large hit to productivity and effectiveness. More help to use the tools would be really amazing.

Thanks again

Follow-up. Started picking through more with the problematic substances (with SD5.4)... all of them feature nodes that are a conflict with v4 but are core to the substance material that wouldn't be productive to try and figure out how to reconfigure to use with 3ds Max / v4.

So pipeline-wise. Max and Substances (using the SD5 features) remains busted. Doesn't look like there's anything to do but send them out as channels from B2M or Player and import - nothing I wanted to avoid more than that.

Just hoping this is addressed for us - been a long wait.
Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:12:44 pm

from what i understand its autodesks issue more than allegorithmic.. autodesk needs to update the driver or what ever the connection is.. shame its not en external plugin that can be replaced.
ive had quite a few materials that would have saved me time if i couldve just loaded it straight in to max. Anyhoo.
You realise you can save your maps straight out designer right?? you dont need to use B2M or Player.
In the top left of the "2d view" window is a little disk icon.. that will save out whatever you have in the 2d view at that point.

Hi,

We are working on a new version of the 3ds max plugin. We should be able to provide it from our site as we do with the updates for the Maya plugin. This way, we can provide updates of the plugin faster than it takes to have the updated pushed to the full integrated version in Max.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Great to hear a plugin in the works! I love using substance in 3ds max. Just wondering is this currently working for Maya?

Also I guess the workaround is just to export maps?

Looking forward to the plugin!

Hi,

We are working on a new version of the 3ds max plugin. We should be able to provide it from our site as we do with the updates for the Maya plugin. This way, we can provide updates of the plugin faster than it takes to have the updated pushed to the full integrated version in Max.

Cheers,
Wes

Several months later, just checking to see if there's any update to this. Since this became such a hamper, I moved over to using Quixels tools. However with Substance Source, I'm definitely interested again.

Hoping to hear that after so long we'll finally have functionality updated within 3ds Max.

I too am very frustrated by this.  Haven't found a substance yet that will load into 3dsmax 2017.  Im doing architectural rendering, and like the included substances because of their power and ease of use.  I would never really use substance designer in my field as there is not time to get that in depth.  Most of the materials I use are reused often, but the included substances are not sufficient.  I don't need to reinvent the wheel or the wood it is made out of.  I just want substances and access to a library that I can download from and add to max.

Updates? I would subscribe just to get access to the library, but not without a valid 3ds max plugin that reads the latest and greatest generation.

Agree with above. I'm also in arch viz and would definitely be a subscriber just for the new source library if you would release an update to the substance map node in max.

I understand you guys are working on it. It would be great if you could tell us when it would be available? I'd love to try out the free maps you have available in the new source library also.

Thanks
Mark

Hey guys,

Very sorry for the delays with the max plugin. We are arranging a beta build that should be available by the end of Nov.

Cheers,
Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes,

do you have end the dev. of the new plugin for 3Dsmax 2017 ?

best Rgd.

Hi Maximilien,

We plan to publish a new version of the 3ds Max engine updater beta (CPU engine only) soon.
It will be available here : https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,14223.0.html
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com