Author Topic: Substance not working if UV map has a custom name  (Read 3668 times)

Okay, here is another bug:

1. Open Modo and create some primitive geometry like a cube.
2. Rename the automatically created UV map from "Texture" to whatever you like.
3. Load a substance and assign the material tag of the substance to the cube.
4. The substance is not applied.
5. Check the locator for the diffuse map of the substance. "Projection" is set to "UV Map" but the "UV Map" field is blank. Whenever you try to select the UV map that was renamed in step 2 it jumps back to blank. The substance cannot be assigned.

You can make it working again if you change the name of the UV Map back to "Texture".

I spent two hours or so checking what was wrong with my substance or my mesh when I finally found out by chance that the name of the UV Map caused this problem. Very annoying.

After playing around with SD for quite a while now just to get used to it this is my first "real" project I want to use it for. So far I found this bug and the one with exposed color and that took me more time than to create my textures with Photoshop.  :-[

I hope that this was just a bad start and that SD will speed up my workflow from now on.

Regards,
Michael

Okay, here is another bug:

1. Open Modo and create some primitive geometry like a cube.
2. Rename the automatically created UV map from "Texture" to whatever you like.
3. Load a substance and assign the material tag of the substance to the cube.
4. The substance is not applied.
5. Check the locator for the diffuse map of the substance. "Projection" is set to "UV Map" but the "UV Map" field is blank. Whenever you try to select the UV map that was renamed in step 2 it jumps back to blank. The substance cannot be assigned.

You can make it working again if you change the name of the UV Map back to "Texture".

I spent two hours or so checking what was wrong with my substance or my mesh when I finally found out by chance that the name of the UV Map caused this problem. Very annoying.

After playing around with SD for quite a while now just to get used to it this is my first "real" project I want to use it for. So far I found this bug and the one with exposed color and that took me more time than to create my textures with Photoshop.  :-[

I hope that this was just a bad start and that SD will speed up my workflow from now on.

Regards,
Michael

Hi Michael,

This is another bug. I'm sorry you've had trouble on your first go with Substance. We are working on a new version of modo plugin and these issues you have reported are being addressed.

Substance Designer will definitely speed up your workflow. I used Substance tools long before I started working for the company and I can definitely speak highly of the tools from an artist prospective.

I'll keep you posted on the progress and if you have an issues, please feel free to contact me directly at wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com

A possible workaround, although not elegant is to quit modo and reopen. This will allow you to select UV sets that are named different than the default "Texture."

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja