Author Topic: Long loading time  (Read 3353 times)

Hey Guys,

Running into this new issue with substance file where after the "made with Unity" logo comes, there is a considerable amount of loading time before the scene shows up. I am talking about when I try to build & run the scene. With a bitmap it comes up much faster.

Is this loading time normal?

So if the game is using a lot of substance it would take a long time to load.
Truly appreciate if there are any optimization tips for this.

Thanks & Regards
-G

Hi Govind,

By default substances in Unity are set to build on level load; this is most probably the reason behind the loading times you are experiencing.

You can find several ways to optimize your substance files here;

If fast loading times are more important than build size to you, you can change the load behaviour of your substances to bake them at build time. Your build will then include baked bitmaps that will speed up runtime scene loading. See here

You can also take advantage of the runtime cache system documented here.

Best,
Camille

Thank you so much for the reply Camille.

I had gone through all the links you have provided and I try following the optimization tips as much as possible when creating the textures. I have even tried changing the settings for the load behavior to all options provided. After changing I did a build & run again, but it does take the same amount of time and I saw no change at all even with "do nothing and cache," option it still gave me a long loading time and there were no textures generated.

Currently I am using substance file downloaded from Substance Share.

In case it helps here is a dropbox link with the Unity Package (v5.3) and the build too - the archive extracts to 457MB
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p6ggc2tpdjp32w8/test_level.rar?dl=0

Wonder if I am missing anything here? Especially while testing the loading with simple sphere with substance file and using build and run from Unity.

Regards
-G

Hi Govind,

Could you please try to update to the latest 5.3 release (5.3.5f1)? It seems you are using 5.3.3, which has known issues with substances that have been fixed since.

When I import the .unitypackage file in a new 5.3.5f1 project, build&run, I get a 12 seconds loading time - versus 75 seconds with the 5.3.3 player you provided.

Also, I do not get such a large build size (my data folder is 26MB), please double check your resources folder(s) / built scenes do not reference unnecessary data!

Best,
Camille

Thanks again Camille, I am not so sure why my build size is that big - I will have a look.

On your recommendation I downloaded the latest build of Unity and you were correct - the load time has reduced in my case too. It's in and around 30-40 seconds.

Thank you so much for looking into this for me. Appreciate the help.

Regards
-G