Author Topic: OS/Computer crash with Painter  (Read 4926 times)

Configuration:
Software:
Windows 7 SP1 64 bit
Geforce 355.82
Hardware:
i7-4790K 4Ghz
16GB RAM
GTX 970 GAMING 4G

Painter causes some sort of problem that crashes the computer entirely, forcing a reset.
I am still trying to reliably recreate the crash, so far it has happened when doing the following:

-Returning to a project after leaving the computer/application running untouched for hours, merely bringing focus to the window brought the system down.
-Working on the project, rotating around the object.
-Working on the project, doing nothing at that moment.

It seems to happen only after I've been working in/have had the program open for at least 10 minutes.

The crash takes the form of the screens (I have two) snapping to solid grey-tones, audio playing continues for a few seconds, then disappears too. There is no blue screen, the computer is unresponsive and has to be hard-reset. At the time of the crash I have 6GB of memory free and no temperature issues.

I have only experienced it with this project, I have no other projects going, but I will attempt to trigger the crash there.

The project in question happens to be 1.25GB on disk, I am a new user so I am not sure if this is strange. It consists mostly of 2 full stacks of "additional maps" rendered at 4K (the project is set to 2K), with three stock smart materials applied to each TextureSet.

Update:

It happened again, this time without taking the entire computer along. An error message from NVIDIA popped up, linking to:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3633/~/opengl-message-%E2%80%9Ctdr-detected%E2%80%9D

What does it mean?

If you received this message from an application (on a pop up message or in the Event Log), the application was unable to continue rendering because the Microsoft Windows imposed time limit (TDR) was exceeded. This is normally the case when the workload sent to the Graphics Card is greater than what the graphics card can process in the normal timeout of two seconds.

You can find more information in this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487368.aspx

How can this be fixed?

Two possible solutions to try would be:

1. Reduce the graphics workload if possible, such as rendering to a lower resolution or with less detail.

2. Increase the timeout to allow more time to complete the really tough rendering parts. Microsoft provides the information on how to modify the Windows Registry to achieve this.

This seems a bit excessive, surely this project cannot be taxing my videocard so much?

Update:

I attempted solution 2 and increased the TdrDelay to 96 seconds (default is 2)

This resulted in a third type of crash, instead of an nvidia report substance painter itself reported. I attempted to fill in the crash report (so that it would send logs, etc) but the report failed for reasons unknown.

I have a hypothesis, after installing GPU-Z to check on the GPU memory load. With this project it hovers around 3.5GB (of a total of 4GB). This specific video card, while having a total of 4GB of memory, has a peculiar configuration of [3584 MB (224 bit) + 512 MB (32 bit)] Perhaps when the memory usage peaks, this causes a problem? It could be confirmation bias, as I was warned by a friend that this memory configuration could cause issues (when gaming, but still).

If anyone reading this uses a GTX 970 4GB, could they share their experiences with regards to Substance? I will test further.

Edit: I can confirm it happens with the "scifi_container_completed.ssp" project from the youtube tutorial series. GPU memory usage steady at 3.8GB. I attemped to trigger the crash by panning and zooming around to no effect, it crashed (hard, had to restart) only after I returned from being afk for 5 minutes and bringing focus to the painter window.
Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:37:12 pm

I have more or less confirmed that the crash only happens when the total video memory usage exceeds 3584MB (see previous post for relevance)

I rebuilt the project using the same meshes, using lower res bakes (2K) with the texture sets at 2K as well. I worked/messed around with it for 30 minutes with the GPU memory usage below 3584MB with no problems. I then increased the texture set resolution to 4K, causing the memory usage to jump to 3782MB. 20 seconds later the computer crashed requiring a reset.

Hey InterSliced,

if the issue is your Vram, then you can't use 4k resolution, unfortunately. You can export your maps as 4k but work in 2k.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Sadly that only delays the inevitable, but might be a limited workaround for the time being.

I am reasonably sure Substance Painter runs afoul of Nvidia's "interesting" memory configuration. I can't really expect Allegorithmic to fix this, but I would like to know if there are others with this issue regarding the GTX970. I'm currently planning to replace it.

Can you send me the project ? (By the way 1.5Go is fairly normal in term of size for Substance Painter)
We have multiple computer at Allegorithmic running with a GTX 970 now, so we might be able to reproduce the issue.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Can you send me the project ? (By the way 1.5Go is fairly normal in term of size for Substance Painter)
We have multiple computer at Allegorithmic running with a GTX 970 now, so we might be able to reproduce the issue.

I've sent you a PM.

I am having the exact same problems as you. I have a GTX 970 and i'm working on a project with 3 texture sets. 2 of them are 2048k res and the 3rd is 1024k res.

I've got this crash three times in the past 2 days and it happens exactly as OP described. The last time i was afk for about 20 minutes, came back - touched the screen and got the hard crash.

Has there been any work done on this?

I am having the exact same problems as you. I have a GTX 970 and i'm working on a project with 3 texture sets. 2 of them are 2048k res and the 3rd is 1024k res.

I've got this crash three times in the past 2 days and it happens exactly as OP described. The last time i was afk for about 20 minutes, came back - touched the screen and got the hard crash.

Has there been any work done on this?

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear you're having the same problem, Allegorithmic was unable to resolve this problem for me, so I ended up reverting to an older videocard driver, this ultimately "solved" the problem for me. Since then I have not tried to upgrade the driver.

I am currently using 361.75 and it seems to run properly now, though I have not worked on any large memory intensive projects lately. Perhaps you could try reverting to older drivers until it works as well, as I am not sure this is the proper version either.

Same problem here with the same graphics card and OS.
I will give the 361.75 driver a try but really painter shouldn't do such thing with any driver.

Thanks for still posting all the relevant updates/infos InterSliced!

Same problem here with the same graphics card and OS.
I will give the 361.75 driver a try but really painter shouldn't do such thing with any driver.

Thanks for still posting all the relevant updates/infos InterSliced!

I don't think 361.75 is the correct driver. While I haven't had the time to look into it I did experience a crash a few weeks ago while working on a large project. I think I accidentally updated the driver since "fixing" it and I neglected to record exactly which driver it was.

Ahh .. too bad.
Maybe Allegorithmic can give us an advice on which Driver to use.

GTX 970 and drivers 362.x have been working pretty well for me. Newer drivers seems to have issues with Iray however, so I would not recommend them for now.

If you guys could send us crash reports that would be very helpful. If that's already the case, let me know and I will check in manually.
Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 03:15:51 pm
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Tanks Froyok,

I will try that Driver next once the 361.75 should crash.
I attached a log file if this is what you mean.